Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help

Options
  • 05-03-2013 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

So im trying to figure out the difference between endothelium dependent vasodilation vs endothelium independent vasodilation. I can find loads of paper on it but no actual definition.

Can anyone help me as I have a presentation in the morning in an area related to it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kellogscoffey

I don't know exactly, so I mightn't be much help... BUT

From what i can remember of those glorious physiology days, there is a mechanism for vasodilation, in which there is an increased amount of "shear-stress" detected by receptors on the vessel endothelium (possibly from greater BP, but I can't remember), and this leads to release of Nitric Oxide (NO)and other vasodilators which cause local vasodilatation.

I dunno about the endothelium independent one. Activating the sympathetic nervous system will cause systemic vasoconstriction, but there are local mediators causing local vasodilators, perhaps these are endothelium independent? e.g. if you're exercising, most blood vessels will contract, but those in activated muscles will dilate. I think NO may be involved aswell, but not through the shear-stress mechanism.

I could be talking through my hat for all I know, I'm casting my mind back to the lofty days of first year...

... From my wizened days of second year :P

Best of luck with the presentation!

Advertisement