Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I copy contacts from Microsoft 365 to Outlook 2007 and to iPhone?

Options
  • 05-03-2013 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi guys,

My Dad had a near nightmare scenario where he lost (or almost) lost all his 800 (mostly new) contacts from his phone and Outlook.
    His phone had mysteriously not been making automatic backups to iCloud.
    His Outlook contacts got messed up and then deleted by an IT person who was installing an extra email address into his Outlook. Then his phone's contacts got deleted because of Apple's automatic sync feature (Since then I have disabled the automatic sync feature in itunes so this shouldn't happen again).
    That said, being his son, and being a little more (only a little more) IT aware, I shouldn't have allowed this mess to happen :(

Anyway, it turns out that his contacts are still on Microsoft 365. I've tooled around with it but I can't see off the bat how I can copy his contacts from Microsoft 365 to Outlook and his iphone.

Could you please help? Thank you so, so much.

Warrior Monk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I can't speak for everyone but if I'm adding an exchange account to outlook for anyone I tend to create a new profile as it avoids scenarios where, if I screw up, things get broken. First thing is to head to control panel and then to mail, check to see if there's a second profile available, just in case.

The contacts from Office 365 should be synchronising to Outlook, what version of Outlook are you running? If it's 2003 you'll need to download a trial of 2007, 2010 or 2013 to be able to synchronise the contacts as 2003 can only get pop/imap access to Office 365.

Edit: Just re-read the post, Office 2007 :o That should definitely be synchronising contacts from Office 365. Is it definitely set up as an exchange account? Maybe try creating a new profile and setting up the account again.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Warrior Monk

I can't speak for everyone but if I'm adding an exchange account to outlook for anyone I tend to create a new profile as it avoids scenarios where, if I screw up, things get broken. First thing is to head to control panel and then to mail, check to see if there's a second profile available, just in case.

The contacts from Office 365 should be synchronising to Outlook, what version of Outlook are you running? If it's 2003 you'll need to download a trial of 2007, 2010 or 2013 to be able to synchronise the contacts as 2003 can only get pop/imap access to Office 365.

Edit: Just re-read the post, Office 2007 That should definitely be synchronising contacts from Office 365. Is it definitely set up as an exchange account? Maybe try creating a new profile and setting up the account again.

Thank you for your response Antar.
    In fact I don't want to create a new profile or a new exchange account in Outlook. I just want to get the contacts from Microsoft 365 to my Dad's existing Outlook 2007 account (and also to his iphone). The account that he has in Outlook 2007 is not set up as an exchange account.

Do I have to create a new profile and copy it over from Microsoft 365 that way?

Thanks again,
    Warrior Monk

If it's not set up as an exchange account then the contacts won't synchronise. Possibly daft question buy why wasn't it set up as an exchange account?

Yeah best thing to do is create a new profile, synchronise the contacts, export the contacts, swap back to the original profile and import the contacts. Bit of a faff though.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Warrior Monk

If it's not set up as an exchange account then the contacts won't synchronise. Possibly daft question buy why wasn't it set up as an exchange account?

Yeah best thing to do is create a new profile, synchronise the contacts, export the contacts, swap back to the original profile and import the contacts. Bit of a faff though.

Thank you Antar! I did this, it's all sorted now. I've copied onto the phone, backed up in icloud and backed up the .pst file to his external drive.

Thank you so much!
    Warrior Monk

Thank you Antar! I did this, it's all sorted now. I've copied onto the phone, backed up in icloud and backed up the .pst file to his external drive.

Thank you so much!
    Warrior Monk

No worries, glad you got it sorted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement