Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids bus and medical card

Options
  • 05-03-2013 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello,
    My son has started to get the bus to school, its a Bus Eireann route, not a school bus, I was wondering, he has a medical card, is he entitled to a reduced fare? I cant find any information on it, it's in side the 3km distance ( just handy for me if I get called in to work and its wet for him to walk :o)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Possesion of a Medical Card of itself confers no entitlement to Free or Discounted travel,however having qualified for the MC,you may well find that you qualify for the (seperate) Free Travel Scheme as well.

I'd suggest contacting your Local DSP Office or Citizens Advice Centre for the current situation.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,335 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If it is a rural area, it might be possible for him to take part in the school bus scheme if there is space on the bus and hte bus is going that way anyway - enquire with the school.

All school children would of course be entitled to child fares or where available school child fares. There may be different options available - single tickets, weekly, tickets, etc. and there may be a requirement for ID for the 12-18 age group.

In certain urban areas, there may be dedicated school buses, especially in neighbourhoods that don't have enough school space or where the child attends a distant school due to language, religion or similar reason.

Some schools also run their own buses or have arrangements with bus operators.

For free travel, have a look at the 'Rules' section here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/extra_social_welfare_benefits/free_travel.html

Advertisement