Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlocking my phone on O2 - Contract issues?

Options
  • 05-03-2013 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I'm trying to switch networks from O2 to 48, but I'm having problems.

I've been on the O2 network for over 4 years and have bought 3 or 4 phones in their shops also. I bought a new phone in December in an O2 shop and now I want to unlock it so that I can switch networks. However, O2 are saying that I have to top up by €150 before I can do this.

I haven't registered the IMEI code yet but have already topped up by at least €40 since I bought the phone and I've probably forked out over €500 since I joined their network.

Is there any way that I can get them to unlock my phone since I've actually been on the network for so long?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,342 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The phone you 'bought' in December was subsidised so O2 are entitled to see to it that you fulfil your part of the bargain which in the case of billpay means you stay with them on the agreed package for xx months or with PAYG that you spend a given amount of money.

How long you have been with the network is neither here nor there, the O2 shareholders have long since spent the dividends based on the profits from past years that you've been with them - eaten bread is soon forgotten.

If you want full network mobility, buy a sim-free phone and go on the cheapest plan you can find. Subsidised phones are crap value for money, they are designed to snare people into expensive plans with the lure of a flash smartphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 niamhd94

The phone I got was worth €50 - an Alcatel phone which are still relatively unheard of, surely this can't count? I've looked on other websites like the carphone warehouse and phones that look better than the one are only around €60 or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Munster1972

If you know somebody with an O2 bill pay account, ask them to register the phone and they should be able to unlock it on line, I did it with a vodefone pay as you go and it was straight forward. HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

niamhd94 wrote: »
    The phone I got was worth €50 - an Alcatel phone which are still relatively unheard of, surely this can't count? I've looked on other websites like the carphone warehouse and phones that look better than the one are only around €60 or less.

You are still not understanding. It's not "worth" €50. You paid €50 up front and agreed to the terms and conditions of that sale. The Carphone Warehouse Alcatel for €60 is still a subsidised phone.

The actual cost of that phone, if you were to purchase it sim free, would be between twice to 5 times the cost, generally. For the high end phones, they are available from the networks from Free but cost over €600.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 border123

niamhd94 wrote: »
    I'm trying to switch networks from O2 to 48, but I'm having problems.

I've been on the O2 network for over 4 years and have bought 3 or 4 phones in their shops also. I bought a new phone in December in an O2 shop and now I want to unlock it so that I can switch networks. However, O2 are saying that I have to top up by €150 before I can do this.

I haven't registered the IMEI code yet but have already topped up by at least €40 since I bought the phone and I've probably forked out over €500 since I joined their network.

Is there any way that I can get them to unlock my phone since I've actually been on the network for so long?

I can understand your situation...You can unlock your phone with the help of online services...You can make use of <SNIP> where you need to mention your phone model...They provide you with unlocking code along with free unlocking instructions...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Zombie thread - closed.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement