Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotbird satellite

Options
  • 05-03-2013 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭

I currently have sky tv Ireland but want to get hotbird in another room (Italian tv) is there any easy way to find out where the new dish should be pointing by using the existing sky dish as a reference ?
    Thank you guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Big Davey wrote: »
    I currently have sky tv Ireland but want to get hotbird in another room (Italian tv) is there any easy way to find out where the new dish should be pointing by using the existing sky dish as a reference ?
    Thank you guys
    slightly to the west, a few nudges and the elevation is very slightly higher. When looking at 2 dishes (1 pointing to astra2 and 1 pointing to hotbird) you will see the difference, but its very small.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 dicey2

ya its only about 3 inches

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

Thank you guys

Why dont you just get a bracket and have two LNBs on the same dish - you can get Astra and Hotbird on the same dish.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

you would want at leat an 80 inch dish for hotbird . go to www.dishpointer.com and u can get exact details on how to point it

Nowso wrote: »
    you would want at leat an 80 inch dish for hotbird . go to www.dishpointer.com and u can get exact details on how to point it
    80cm!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

lol yeah

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

snaps wrote: »
    80cm!

I was able to get around 90% strength & 85% quality with a 65cm solid dish for 13E.

tdv123 wrote: »
    I was able to get around 90% strength & 85% quality with a 65cm solid dish for 13E.
    That might be the case, dont trust signal meters on receivers. Some of the DVBS2 transponders do suffer from rain fade and can be dodgy here this far west. The Cyfra+ channel with Canal+Gol HD is a dodgy one for some, also the TVP HD transponder. 80cm should solve problems, but a 60cm will do the job just.

That might be the case, dont trust signal meters on receivers. Some of the DVBS2 transponders do suffer from rain fade and can be dodgy here this far west. The Cyfra+ channel with Canal+Gol HD is a dodgy one for some, also the TVP HD transponder. 80cm should solve problems, but a 60cm will do the job just.

Well if he's planning on getting sub channels then yes go with an 80cm. But if it's just something he's looking to mess around I found the 60cm much easier & quicker to align right.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

I hope to do it early next week will let you know how I get on.
    Thanks guys.

• Advertisement

I hope to do it early next week will let you know how I get on.
    Thanks guys.

Are you planning on getting subscription channels or just fta stuff? Also are you on the east or west coast?

It's not going too good......... I am trying this now and the best I can get is 72% intensity and 14% quality. I think there may be a setting wrong on receiver ?
    What tp index should I have ?
    What tp frequency ?
    Symbol rate ?
    Polarity ?
    What is the 22k, diseqc, etc etc
    Help.

You've taken your time......7 months later! What are you trying to do and what equipment are you using?

You've taken your time......7 months later! What are you trying to do and what equipment are you using?

I got nagged into it lol it took me 7 months to get around to it :-)
    I paid a fella to set it up for me in the end which was grand only problem is we can only find about 10 Italian station on hotbird and the ones herself wanted are not there that I can find Mediaset channels ie Chanel 5, Italia 1, rete 4, la 7 etc etc etc any advice ? We have rai 1,2,3 sport etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

I got nagged into it lol it took me 7 months to get around to it :-)
    I paid a fella to set it up for me in the end which was grand only problem is we can only find about 10 Italian station on hotbird and the ones herself wanted are not there that I can find Mediaset channels ie Chanel 5, Italia 1, rete 4, la 7 etc etc etc any advice ? We have rai 1,2,3 sport etc

full list of italian channels on lyngsat or king of sat. many of the Italian channels need a card and a decoder which you can buy in Italy using an Italian equivalent of your pps number

• Registered Users Posts: 15,520 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

kooga wrote: »
    full list of italian channels on lyngsat or king of sat. many of the Italian channels need a card and a decoder which you can buy in Italy using an Italian equivalent of your pps number

tivùsat information here - http://www.tivu.tv/sat-eng/tivusat/index.aspx

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

. . . we can only find about 10 Italian station on hotbird and the ones herself wanted are not there that I can find Mediaset channels ie Chanel 5, Italia 1, rete 4, la 7 etc etc etc any advice ? We have rai 1,2,3 sport etc

Some of the Mediaset channels are listed as 'clear': Italia 1, Rete 4 & Canale 5 among them.

Kooga could confirm if they are still receivable in the clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    Some of the Mediaset channels are listed as 'clear': Italia 1, Rete 4 & Canale 5 among them.

They certainly are, although Canale 5 is only clear at certain times.

radiowaves wrote: »
    . . . Canale 5 is only clear at certain times.

Ah, that would explain why it's listed as both clear & encrypted.

I don't understand what clear is ? With regards to the card and box my outlaws tell me that was only for paid channels and has not been used in about 10 years in Italy. Here is what I was wondering is it only certain channels that come through the dish and the others are received only by Ariel in Italy ? Like the way we can loads of free stations in Ireland on a dish but can only get tv3 rte etc on an Ariel ? I am hoping we can get the channels we are missing as it would not have been worth buying a dish and new tv and paying a person to set it up for the few channels we have received.
    Thanks guys.

• Advertisement

'Clear' means you don't need a card. The tivùsat channels are free-to-view (FTV): the card system is only to control who can view the channels, not to extract payment for viewing.

I believe tivùsat exists to fill in gaps in Italian terrestrial coverage, a function performed in Ireland by Saorsat, rather than to provide an international service. Saorsat doesn't need a card, as coverage is limited by other means.

'Clear' means you don't need a card. The tivùsat channels are free-to-view (FTV): the card system is only to control who can view the channels, not to extract payment for viewing.

I believe tivùsat exists to fill in gaps in Italian terrestrial coverage, a function performed in Ireland by Saorsat, rather than to provide an international service. Saorsat doesn't need a card, as coverage is limited by other means.

I don't really get it why would they want to control who can view the channels ? If they are free........... I am reliably informed that the card system is long gone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,520 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I don't really get it why would they want to control who can view the channels ? If they are free...........

Programme rights issues I'd guess
    I am reliably informed that the card system is long gone ?

Still there according to this - http://www.tivu.tv/sat-eng/tivusat/index.aspx

Recent DS thread - http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1825373

Box and pre-activated card here - http://www.sateuropa.co.uk/cart/catalog/foreign-smartcards/tivusat-italy-card-and-topfield-sbx-3100-receiver-pre-activated-1101146.html

Other links - http://www.tivusat.co.uk/index.php

Tivusat channels - http://en.kingofsat.net/pack-tivusat.php, http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Servizi_televisivi_di_Tiv%C3%B9_Sat

Looks like you are spot on will have to get a box and card. It is not needed in Italy and that's where I was going wrong. Where are the best value boxes ? Ebay, Amazon, any model in particular to go for.
    Thanks to all for your help so far.

there are plenty of clear channels, a few of the mediasets are clear italia 1. will check later as wife watching x factor and will update what I have clear tonight!

ok Italian channels clear (there may be others but these are what I have scanned in)

Supertennis hd, rai 1-3, rete 4 canale 5, canale italia, italia 1 rai gulp, super, rai storia, rai sport 1 and 2 rai scala, rai med, dmax, rai news, tgcom24, real time, +1.

rai and rete have FTA champions league and Europa league.

re boxes you will pay big money for a box via a middleman on the web, if your partner is Italian, best bet is to buy the box in Italy using her Italian pps number (cant think of the term) with the card, a hd box is about the €150 mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

kooga wrote: »
    ok Italian channels clear (there may be others but these are what I have scanned in)

Supertennis hd, rai 1-3, rete 4 canale 5, canale italia, italia 1 rai gulp, super, rai storia, rai sport 1 and 2 rai scala, rai med, dmax, rai news, tgcom24, real time, +1.

rai and rete have FTA champions league and Europa league.

re boxes you will pay big money for a box via a middleman on the web, if your partner is Italian, best bet is to buy the box in Italy using her Italian pps number (cant think of the term) with the card, a hd box is about the €150 mark.

Loads and loads of Italian channels are free. There are other Italian channels that not free but have known control words.

STB wrote: »
    Loads and loads of Italian channels are free. There are other Italian channels that not free but have known control words.

Clean out your inbox pal I can't send you a message.
    Thanks

Advertisement