Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bit of advice required

Options
  • 05-03-2013 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

hi lads, never been on a bike in my life but im getting urges!!.
    im 28. full car liscence. goin to book theory in next week or so. wat category liscence should i be going for? a i take it?, i like the look of hornets and bandits etc so any suggestions what would be a good starter for me? are hornet 250s learner legal, im budgeting around 400 for ibt. what should i be budgetting for gear? im 6ft and 16 stone so would these bike styles suit?

thanks for any advice!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Go for an A Learner Permit, then any bike you can get insured in is Learner Legal for you.

You'd be very lucky to find a place doing Mods 1,3 and 5 for 400... but if you are willing to travel you'll find somewhere.... that said, budget a little higher.

For gear.... how much is your body worth to you? Find the best gear you can afford, then go just a little higher would be my take on it. But that's what works for me.

A hornet 250 is very learner legal, but no good for you when doing the full test. That said, wait til you do your IBT to get a bike, you wanna be able to test ride it to see if it's comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭beantins

So with an a learner permit would I be able to run a 600 bandit? I would probably restrict it until I get a bit of experience in and then un restrict for test. Does that sound about right? Just sounds funny to me that someone with no experience can jump on a 600!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭beantins

Or am I misinterperiting the new licence laws that came into affect in January?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

beantins wrote: »
    Or am I misinterperiting the new licence laws that came into affect in January?
    You are correct. that's why there is 18hrs of ibt to be done. A good instructor should see you right and if your having problems will advise you on the steps to take. You need to complete ibt on a full power 600+ to be signed off. You can then make an informed decision on what you want to buy. Ibt covers a lot more than just riding. It will help you decide on correct gear and help with bike choice as well as understand the laws properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

stay in your car--had bike since i was 18-[never had a crash] 52 now-- been knocked off in 06+07 by careless drivers pulling out in front of me--lost an elbow in last one i love bikes but packed it in getting too old for that crack. be carefull get proper training and grow another set of eyes cos you'll need them. good luck. see post from 'Wonda boy' i'll take a c bob.

• Advertisement
Advertisement