Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUSI Overpayment Letter

Options
  • 05-03-2013 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭

Hi

Received a letter from SUSI stating I had been overpaid in regards to a particular grant and that "this amount must be repaid". Then instructed to contact them to "discuss the options available" to me. Anyone else get this or proceed with repayment options yet? Have tried ringing and emailing but no response yet.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SuSi: Reps

Hi,

Thank you for your message.
    For data protection purposes if you could mail me the following information:

W reference number:
    D.O.B:
    Address:
    Mother's Maiden Name:

I will then be able to review your application and help with your request.
    Kind regards,
    Aoife,
    SUSI HelpDesk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 onesome

I was wondering how you got on with SUSI, my son got a letter stating he was paid wrong maintenance grant for 3 year, 2012, 2013 & 2014. This was SUSI error not ours, appealed this but just got back a letter stating appeal was unsuccessful. my son graduated in 2016, but is going back in Sept 2017 to do his Masters. Can you give me any advice on how you go on with SUSI. If this was there mistake and the money now spent, can they claim the whole lot back. Any info would be great, many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

onesome wrote: »
    I was wondering how you got on with SUSI, my son got a letter stating he was paid wrong maintenance grant for 3 year, 2012, 2013 & 2014. This was SUSI error not ours, appealed this but just got back a letter stating appeal was unsuccessful. my son graduated in 2016, but is going back in Sept 2017 to do his Masters. Can you give me any advice on how you go on with SUSI. If this was there mistake and the money now spent, can they claim the whole lot back. Any info would be great, many thanks.

I paid them back in the end, wasnt a large amount as I recall. It wasnt a simple process by any means but we got there in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 onesome

How do Susi expect people to pay money back 5 years later after they made the error. I stated this in my appeal, they made the mistake I filled out all form honestly and correctly, they decided what grant to award, and because someone made a clerical error, now they want back money that is already spent. I note that susi made over €4million error in 2012, have they got all this money back or do they just chance there arm and see who will pay back. What if i cant or refuse to pay back what can they do?? If i could afford to pay back what they overpaid, i wouldnt have had to get grant in first place. There mistake and it should be written off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

onesome wrote: »
    How do Susi expect people to pay money back 5 years later after they made the error. I stated this in my appeal, they made the mistake I filled out all form honestly and correctly, they decided what grant to award, and because someone made a clerical error, now they want back money that is already spent. I note that susi made over €4million error in 2012, have they got all this money back or do they just chance there arm and see who will pay back. What if i cant or refuse to pay back what can they do?? If i could afford to pay back what they overpaid, i wouldnt have had to get grant in first place. There mistake and it should be written off.

yea bummer, dont know what to say really. I cant see them letting it go really, they chased me enough for my few hundred quid. Id imagine not paying would be a black mark against you in future dealings with state bodies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement