Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restoring waxed pine furniture

Options
  • 05-03-2013 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

I have a dresser and tables and chairs that are about 15 years old and in need of a bit of TLC.

They are solid pine and were originally treated with an oak wax.

Now, they have watermarks, some tiny dings, one big biro mark, areas where the wax has come off due to some spillage being scrubbed off and look shabby.

I don't want to varnish them - I hate the polyurethane varnish look. I like a wax finish, but perhaps with a slightly better shine - they are very very matte now.

Any tips on how to clean them? What to apply next? I stand in the 'wood' aisle in Woodies and read tub after bottle after tin after jar and still don't know where to start.

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

For wax removal, 0000 steel wool and a rag dipped in paraffin oil aka mineral spirits. Wet with the rag and oil/spirits for a while, keeping it wet to break down the wax.
    Use 0000 steel wool wet with oil/spirits, and begin gently rubbing. This will start removal, as well as get to new levels of wax.

Worth reading:
    http://www.fiskeandfreeman.com/PolishingAntiqueFurniture.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭jack of all

I did something vaguely similar recently with a 10 year old waxed pine wardrobe, although in my case I wanted to remove the wax and get back to a clean surface, degreased and suitable for painting. I used nylon pot scrubs (cheap as chips from the eurosaver or Dealz shops) and white spirit, scrubbing with the grain and removing the mess with kitchen towel. Once you get to this stage You could seal the wood with a shellac sanding sealer, rubbed down with steel wall and wax.
    For a more durable finish you need to consider polyurethane, rubbed back with fine steel wool and waxed.

Advertisement