Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When writing a play...

Options
  • 05-03-2013 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭

What is a good rule of thumb for the likely time a scene will take? I am writing it using CeltX, the default settings. So, as an example, how long would a five page scene take?

I know all the variables involved that make this an near impossible thing to measure. Just a rough rule of thumb would help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

fraid I don't know what CeltX is - but my rule of thumb for anything I ever attempted to write for stage / radio was 1 page = 1 minute

that would be using standard settings in Word: Times new roman, size 12, double spacing, standard margins

dunno if that's any help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

yeah, celtx uses the standard courier 12 point with double line spacing. that is the minute per page standard, as far as screenwriting goes at least

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭donalh087

Why not get a timer and read it aloud at a moderate pace - you won't be far out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Good idea.

Advertisement