Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What has happened to my dream baby?

Options
  • 05-03-2013 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭

I'm a first time mum to a 5month old girl. For the past month she has been sleeping brilliantly (11hrs straight most nights), great form during the day, 3 regular naps most days. She is exclusively breastfed.

Last Friday morning I gave her her first bottle of formula, just 3oz of Aptimel 1, and all was fine (I was hoping to slowly start the weaning process over the next month or two). She was a little restless and gassy that night but I expected that.

However, 4 days later and she has been getting crankier and more unsettled by the day. I haven't given her any more formula since the first day as I wanted to be sure she was ok with it. Surely it must be out of here system by now? Could it just be coincidence that she's going through a growth spurt, or maybe looking to start solids? I have no idea what to do with her. I could always nurse her to sleep as a last resort but even that isn't working now. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭elaney

Has she started teething Emer my one is teething like crazy at the moment?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

elaney wrote: »
    Has she started teething Emer my one is teething like crazy at the moment?.

I don't think so Elaney. No extra chewing or dribbling, no rosey cheeks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

emer_b wrote: »

I don't think so Elaney. No extra chewing or dribbling, no rosey cheeks!!
    She could be ready for a little bowl of solids during the day.
    Also, my little man was a great sleeper,was sleeping from 7/8 until 8/9am every night. Then around Christmas time(4 and a half months old) this all changed, wouldn't go to bed until 11/12, naps were all over the place and our routine went out the window! I was at my wits end, as it was an extremely long, hard day when he was like that. As I'm sure all Mammys will know :) all of a sudden about 3 weeks later, he just snapped out of it. Started going to bed again about 8 and our routine just slid back into place. I think I read somewhere before that between 18 and 24 months(someone correct me if I'm wrong) that they go through quite a big growth spurt, mentally and physically.
    First time Mammy here too!

Thanks GeeG, my gut feeling is that it will pass and its just "one of those things" but I'm trying to make sure I'm not missing out on something obvious! Just such a coincidence that this cranky phase started the same day as the formula, my head is in a muddle trying to figure it out.

[QUOTE=Gee_G;83514601I think I read somewhere before that between 18 and 24 months(someone correct me if I'm wrong) that they go through quite a big growth spurt, mentally and physically.
    [/QUOTE]

I'd say you probably mean 18-24 weeks :)

• Advertisement

Alot of the time Emer b they snap out of it themselves. I started my lo on solids about a week ago and she has settled down alot she is alot more content but she is formula fed and a hungry baby. Just be sure she doesn't have a temperature . This is another stage we unfortunetly have to go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Thanks GeeG, my gut feeling is that it will pass and its just "one of those things" but I'm trying to make sure I'm not missing out on something obvious! Just such a coincidence that this cranky phase started the same day as the formula, my head is in a muddle trying to figure it out.
    I know, its bloody tough trying to rule everything out isn't it? :) I was the same when trying to introduce new foods to my man and I was half convincing myself gluten wasn't agreeing with him! But there isn't a bother on him now! :)

My PHN told me at his 12 week check up that he'd tell me when he wanted more food(solids) and at the time I didn't have a clue what she was on about! I was half thinking what the hell, he's hardly going to ask for it :)But for a few days before I started him on it, he was quite unsettled, started waking earlier in the mornings and nothing was really working. And to me, that was him telling me ha ha.

Ah hopefully it has nothing to do with the formula. As you said, I'd say it's well out of her system!

Thanks for the replies ladies. I have been spoiled with her good sleeping up to now, this is the first difficult phase she's going through (and its only been 4 days yet !!!).
    The tiredness just makes everything seem worse than it really is.

Thanks for the replies ladies. I have been spoiled with her good sleeping up to now, this is the first difficult phase she's going through (and its only been 4 days yet !!!).
    The tiredness just makes everything seem worse than it really is.

I wish it gets easier i thought i had my nearly three year old sleeping through but for the last three weeks he has been waking the lot of us in the middle of the night with nightmares oh to just get one night of sleep.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/baby/baby-stages-of-development/the-wonder-weeks-20120426-1xni4.html

Usually the leaps above, along with teething are the main contributors to babies changing their sleep patterns & crying/whinging more etc. A lot of people at that stage think that the baby is hungry so needs more milk or needs to start solids, but usually it's a phase that passes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

I had a similar situation - I moved formula milk (aptimel 1 to cow and gate 1). Did the trick for me. Still not sure what was up but as the others say its one of those things!!

Thanks knitter, I decided to abandon the weaning for another month and try to establish solids first. Her stomach might be better able for the formula by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

It can be tough at this stage, maybe she doesn't like formula at all - a compromise could be be expressed breast milk from a bottle? and then maybe a slow switch when the solids are established.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

There's lots of signs to look for to see if babies are ready for solids. This site is great for info http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/solids-when/
    It's funny that it started with the formula, it maybe did upset the stomach. I would hold off on giving any more formula or solids for a bit it might be a sign that her gut is really not ready for anything but breastmilk still

Thanks for the replies. I decided to stick with the breastfeeding for another month or so. She's trying tiny bits of solids and its going ok (stomach wise), so hopefully her gut will be able for formula in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Maybe try Cow& Gate comfort.
    We started our little fella on SMA gold and he was too young and small for it really and he didn't take to it.
    When we tried again a few weeks later he was very cranky and in terrible pain.
    I switched him after 2 weeks of this as I was convinced it was his food while the missus was saying he needed time...finally we agreed to try C&G comfort and he took to it straightaway :)
    We had also tried Aptamil comfort but immediately he was in discomfort hours after his feed and extremely gassy and windy.
    People say Aptamil and Cow&Gate comfort are the exact same and both are made by Danone..but there's definitely a difference in the Aptamil.

PS...baby was always fed formula from day 1 (ready made SMA infant milk for first 4-5 weeks or so)

Advertisement