Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ladies triathlon bike hire

Options
  • 05-03-2013 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hey

Anyone know of a service/or anyone open to hiring a high end ladies triathlon racer bike?

I'm planning to complete a traithlon in April - but not investing in a racer just yet, it's my first tri - already have a hybrid road bike which suits the bill for work commute.

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

One good rule for triathlon, or any race, is "don't do anything new on race day".

No lovely shiny new tri clothes that will shred your skin to ribbons, no lovely new shoes that will lift a layer of skin from your heels, no new food that will leave you throwing up in the ditch.

So, if I were you, I'd train on your hybrid and race on your hybrid. Don't use a new bike that you're not used to on race day.

If the triathlon is in April, then there are always plenty of people on hybrids, who, like you, are just dipping their toe in the water and not ready to invest in a road bike yet. I know people who spent the first year racing on their hybrids.

So, stick with what you know and don't try anything new on race day.

Best of luck wtih the first one. It's the best feeling in the world to be crossing that finish line :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 trixsyme

Thanks for the advice Hardy. Ha, I wish I had all those new things in the first place ;)

I was just advised by the guy in the bike shop that it would be not worth competing on a hybrid as it will hold me back. Prob thought I'd just spend a grand in haste..

Will most likely invest in selling/giving away the hybrid if I get the itch after my first race.

Thanks again for the pointers! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

trixsyme wrote: »
    I was just advised by the guy in the bike shop that it would be not worth competing on a hybrid as it will hold me back. Prob thought I'd just spend a grand in haste..

Triathlon is an individual event, so it really doesn't matter whether you come in 10th or 100th.

Beware, the rabbit hole of triathlon bikes is very deep indeed.

If you enjoy cycling fast, buy a regular drop bar road bike. You don't need to spend a thousand euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

trixsyme wrote: »

I don't know if I'd be in a rush back to that shop if they're giving out advice like that.

If you do decide to go bike shopping then do plenty of research and if you have any friends that are knowledgeable about bikes, bring them along. You wouldn't believe the amount of women on bikes that don't fit them.

On womens bikes the top tube is often shorter as women have a shorter torso and arms (proportionally) to men. Reach is all important, though you may find that your reach improves as your bike flexibility and confidence improves, but buy for what you are comfortable with at that given time.

Have a think about investing in a good womans saddle. It is money you will not regret!

Make sure that crank set (the bit where the pedals attach) isn't too big either.

Advertisement