Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm a girl thinking of doing CA

Options
  • 05-03-2013 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

hi, im seriously thinking about doing CA next year but im slightly put off by the apparent lack of girls :(

just wondering if this is actually the case? how few girls are there?

please help x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 foFox

Well, in general, people don't go for a computing degree if they are looking forward to shag female classmates. 3rd year CA - 2 girls left as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

Well its an area where females are in very high demand, and there are lots of initiatives to get women into programming.

Also how are ever going to get Women into courses like CA if they keep being easily put off by being the only one of their gender. Currently IT is a heavily male dominated field so you're going to have to get comfortable with being in that environment. I'm fairly sure the guys won't give you a hard time or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

The % of girls in Enterprise Computing is very much higher than Computer Applications. Also worth noting that it appears there is a sting demand by industry for female IT graduates. Don't be put off by gender issue. Remember you will socialize outside your class group as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Aaron Woods

This year there is like 20% girls in CA1. Approximately. You'll be fine, the course is very interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭sarahguitar92

Don't let it put you off, if you really want to do a course then you should just go for it. You'll probably make plenty of male friends too. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

foFox wrote: »
    Well, in general, people don't go for a computing degree if they are looking forward to shag female classmates..

Hahahahhah, most of you CA guys graduate as virgins, but don't try claim it's because you're too dedicated to your studies!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

I did CA years ago and met a some girls who were doing the course. we're still really good friends today. They never really cared to much about the demographics.

You'll spend a lot of time away from your class, doing Clubs and Socs stuff - so it'll never really feel like you're out numbered.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭xxmeabhxx

As fofox mentioned above, there are currently two girls left in third year (I'm one of them) and there's about 60 - 70 guys. You'll have to accept that it's a male dominated field but don't let it put you off because everyone is sound! :) I've had no problem making friends and have never felt alienated or anything. In fact I prefer being in a class full of males than females because in school when I was in an all girls school there was so much more bitchiness and tempers and now everyone is so much more relaxed. Also, you'll meet people in clubs and societies which is nice. Also as mentioned above, there's a huge shortage of female programmers in industry so if you do get qualified you'll be very employable and probably won't have much of a problem getting a job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 329 ✭✭Cereal Number

Dont do it! Being the only girl youll get raped :O

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭polkabunny

I'm a girl in CA. I don't understand why it's such a big deal to be in a male dominated course, but maybe that's just me. Overall, girls are treated basically the same as everyone else.
    I made friends with boys and girls equally, both inside my class and outside of it. Probably worth pointing out that DCU has a slight female majority - 51% girls to 49% boys in the college overall.

Honestly, if you want to do computing, I'd say get used to being in a male dominated sector. More girls are coming in every year though, we had around 10 last year, there are now about 20 in this year's first year.

Also, girls don't get raped for being a minority in a class group, for crying out loud >_>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Thread locked. Unfortunately some people don't know how to answer a question without being derogatory.

OP - there's plenty of advice in here already and there's not much anyone can add. You shouldn't even be thinking about whether there's too many girls or boys or whatever in a class. Think about the course, what you'll be studying and what kind of career you want - that's what is important. Good luck in the future :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement