Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bachleor of Science(Honours) in Computer Games Development CW208 Requirements

Options
  • 04-03-2013 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

My first boards post. :D
    I'm in 6th year. I decided to check this course again and found out the max points has gone up to 480. I've nearly gotten all my mocks results back and I believe I will get around 400 points.

What are the chances that 400 points or there about would get me into this course?

The requirements say I need at least a OL B3 in Maths. I'm doing HL maths and got a D1. But all of these results were with like 1 or 2 weeks of study :P. If the course requirements say OL B3 does that mean i have to get a HL B3 in maths? Or just a pass in HL? I'm considering maths grinds if i need a B3.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

With a bit of luck, and some hard work you'll get the points you need for the course. I know nothing about that particular course, but I've seen previous posts referring to that course before, and the best stuff I can find is here. Best of luck to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 321Stephen

Thanks for your reply. So I would have to get a HL B3 in maths even if the course requires OL B3? I'm not going to drop down though.
    Also, does anyone know any books that I could buy/read online for free as I would like to start learning something now in my spare time? I've been learning the basics to Python but I think the course focuses more on Java? (Some people recommend books in the like "Master of Nothing" posted but perhaps there are more recent books)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

321Stephen wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply. So I would have to get a HL B3 in maths even if the course requires OL B3? I'm not going to drop down though.
    Also, does anyone know any books that I could buy/read online for free as I would like to start learning something now in my spare time? I've been learning the basics to Python but I think the course focuses more on Java? (Some people recommend books in the like "Master of Nothing" posted but perhaps there are more recent books)

I think they start off with C# in first year.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭He Who Dares Wins

The best book for Java in my opinion is "Head First Java", its very good in that the book is very picture orientated so its not that boring to read and it also has loads of little puzzles and programs that are a huge benefit. The syntax for c# and Java are quiet alike. If you want to go ahead of yourself after this and get a book on C get "The C Programming Language".

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Dboy85

I think they start off with C# in first year.

If you're gonna start programming with this course in mind learn C# or C++ if you're a bit braver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Laim

Hey, I accepted this course today and was just wondering if anyone could give me advice on the course? in regards to design and the programming part that doesnt really bother me however i have very little experience with coding , so would I struggle with this course and how would you rate your experience in this course?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 RarestSolanum

Laim wrote: »
    Hey, I accepted this course today and was just wondering if anyone could give me advice on the course? in regards to design and the programming part that doesnt really bother me however i have very little experience with coding , so would I struggle with this course and how would you rate your experience in this course?

I'm going into the third year of this course.

I started the course with no knowledge of any programming language and I found the first year to be really easy, so you should do fine.

No real advice, other than show up to your lectures, and try to not leave projects until the last minute.

Advertisement