Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSLR for 1080p Videos ?

Options
  • 04-03-2013 10:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭

I am looking into buying a DSLR camera for recording Youtube videos and taking good quality pictures (obviously) I have been looking into the Canon 600d , is there any other make or model i should look into for what I require and if there was anything cheaper that was good qulity that would be a huge bonus ? Also I will want a lens that will allow me to blur the background of videos . I'm not highly knowledgeable in this area so any help would be appreciated .

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Almost all of the newer DLSR's can record video. I think they can all do 1080p - or at least the entry level canon 1100d can. Most DLSR's can give you 24 - 30 FPS, but the higher end ones can give you up to 48 - 60 FFS. (for editing to slow-mo in post production).

To get the back ground blur you need a lens with with a big aperture - f2, f2.8 or similar. (Big aperture = small number).

The canon f1.8 50mm is a great lens because its (a) cheap and (b) has a big aperture, however it is next to useless for video as the manual* focus ring is too small and fiddly.

*The down side to DLSR videos is that you almost always have to use manual focus. Autofocus on videos is generally crap and the recording will pick up the noise of the focus motor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭cuterob

lumix gh3 has silent autofocus in video and great for stills too.. pricey tho with the 12-35mm and f2.8 lens.. bout 2k or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭lil_tuts

cuterob wrote: »
    lumix gh3 has silent autofocus in video and great for stills too.. pricey tho with the 12-35mm and f2.8 lens.. bout 2k or so

Thanks but 600 - 700 is my limit

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭arcius

lil_tuts wrote: »
    For similar amount I would recomend canon 600d (€415.97) or 650d (€509.95) and 50mm lens (f1.8 (€87.95) or f1.4 (€329.95)) or tokina 11-16 f2.8 (€445.95) if you need a wider view angle and zoom lens.
    Both cameras can shoot video in: Full HD 1,920 x 1,080 pixels at 24, 25, and 30 frames per second. 720p is available at 50 and 60 fps and VGA video is recorded at 30 and 25 fps.
    Both of them have movable lcd display which is very handy for video shooting.
    Canon 650d is the first camera in the line to support the kind of live continuous autofocus which is small advantage against 600d.
    You can also get Canon EOS 650D Body with 18-135mm IS STM Lens Kit for €779.95. In this case you would get all around kit with very silent autofocus which is very important while making movies but this lens has a variable aperture.
    BUT my video choice would be 600d with tokina 11-16 lens. And later I would buy a Follow Focus Ring. hope this helps.

arcius wrote: »
    For similar amount I would recomend canon 600d (€415.97) or 650d (€509.95) and 50mm lens (f1.8 (€87.95) or f1.4 (€329.95)) or tokina 11-16 f2.8 (€445.95) if you need a wider view angle and zoom lens.
    Both cameras can shoot video in: Full HD 1,920 x 1,080 pixels at 24, 25, and 30 frames per second. 720p is available at 50 and 60 fps and VGA video is recorded at 30 and 25 fps.
    Both of them have movable lcd display which is very handy for video shooting.
    Canon 650d is the first camera in the line to support the kind of live continuous autofocus which is small advantage against 600d.
    You can also get Canon EOS 650D Body with 18-135mm IS STM Lens Kit for €779.95. In this case you would get all around kit with very silent autofocus which is very important while making movies but this lens has a variable aperture.
    BUT my choice would be 600d with tokina lens. hope this helps.

Thanks that really helped, is there anywhere in particular you would recommend buying from ?

• Advertisement

Thanks that really helped, is there anywhere in particular you would recommend buying from ?
    All my gear I buy ONLY from simplyelectronics.net or hdewcameras.co.uk
    First one is a bit cheaper but sometimes you have to wait a bit longer (for my 50mm I was waiting around month). I know there are a lot of bad feedbacks online, but I never had any problems and I already spent thousands with them.
    The second one even has a phisical shop in London and they are a bit quicker. Plus they gives you three years guaranty on most of products they sell. And as I said do not believe what people say online about first ones as after my experience with them I started to believe all bad feedback were left by their competitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

All my gear I buy ONLY from simplyelectronics.net or hdewcameras.co.uk
    First one is a bit cheaper but sometimes you have to wait a bit longer (for my 50mm I was waiting around month). I know there are a lot of bad feedbacks online, but I never had any problems and I already spent thousands with them.
    The second one even has a phisical shop in London and they are a bit quicker. Plus they gives you three years guaranty on most of products they sell. And as I said do not believe what people say online about first ones as after my experience with them I started to believe all bad feedback were left by their competitors.

there are plenty of people on boards and off boards who have had bad experiences of simplyelectronics (and there are some with good experiences of SE) ....so just to clarify the feedback online is definitely NOT all left by their competitors ...quite a lot of it is from dissatisfied customers.

Corkbah wrote: »
    there are plenty of people on boards and off boards who have had bad experiences of simplyelectronics (and there are some with good experiences of SE) ....so just to clarify the feedback online is definitely NOT all left by their competitors ...quite a lot of it is from dissatisfied customers.
    You are not risking to loose your money at all as they accept paypal payments and that's more important thing. And as I said I am talking about my experience with them. What most people don't actually like is to wait. But I would prefer wait longer rather than pay more in anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,784 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The preceding model, the GH2 is cheaper and was the best stills camera that does video you could get until the GH3 came out. The GH2 delivers higher quality video for the price than anything else available.

Silent focusing is an inherent quality of some lenses, which the GH2 can use as well as the GH3 can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

You are not risking to loose your money at all as they accept paypal payments and that's more important thing. And as I said I am talking about my experience with them. What most people don't actually like is to wait. But I would prefer wait longer rather than pay more in anywhere else.

I never said anything about loosing money ....just people who have had bad experiences.

• Advertisement

Corkbah wrote: »

I never said anything about loosing money ....just people who have had bad experiences.
    Their bad experience is only long waiting. And as I said I am talking just from my experience which is very good.

Any thoughts on http://www.adorama.com/ ?

Any thoughts on http://www.adorama.com/ ?
    Hi, they are USA based company so on the top of price,shipping and any other expenses added to your order you'll need to pay VAT. You should buy ONLY from EU based (not registered!) company.

Hi, they are USA based company so on the top of price,shipping and any other expenses added to your order you'll need to pay VAT. You should buy ONLY from EU based (not registered!) company.
    And VAT in Ireland is currently 21%. Off course if you not exceed €22 there is no any VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

And VAT in Ireland is currently 21% 23%. Off course if you not exceed €22 there is no any VAT.

FYP

FYP
    My fault, sorry

Good point thanks , seems like hdewcameras.co.uk have a good price for what I want then for the 600d with kit lens its €468 and the 50mm lense is €91 . where as if i were to buy from say Currys in store it would be €639 for a 600d kit with lense and €129 for the 50mm lense

Good point thanks , seems like hdewcameras.co.uk have a good price for what I want then for the 600d with kit lens its €468 and the 50mm lense is €91 . where as if i were to buy from say Currys in store it would be €639 for a 600d kit with lense and €129 for the 50mm lense
    It is a huge difference in price... I just don't agree with buying a kit... If I was about do not waste my money I would never go near kit lens (18-55). better save and buy all in one lens which I recommended earlier.. 50mm is a great lens BUT I'd say it would be not wide enough if you are about to shoot mostly videos.. Don't forget 50mm on your camera will be 80mm as 600d has a crop sensor. And as I mentioned before nearly the best AFFORDABLE video lens for such camera would be tokina 11-16. Check out some test footage on youtube about it. All my friends who shoot with full sensor cameras they use 24-70 or 50mm BUT the rest of them who make videos with crop sensor cameras they use tokina.
    50mm though is a great lens for portraits. Absolutely great

It is a huge difference in price... I just don't agree with buying a kit... If I was about do not waste my money I would never go near kit lens (18-55). better save and buy all in one lens which I recommended earlier.. 50mm is a great lens BUT I'd say it would be not wide enough if you are about to shoot mostly videos.. Don't forget 50mm on your camera will be 80mm as 600d has a crop sensor. And as I mentioned before nearly the best AFFORDABLE video lens for such camera would be tokina 11-16. Check out some test footage on youtube about it. All my friends who shoot with full sensor cameras they use 24-70 or 50mm BUT the rest of them who make videos with crop sensor cameras they use tokina.
    50mm though is a great lens for portraits. Absolutely great

Great thanks i guess i need to do some more homework I am out of my dept with all these different lenses .

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

And VAT in Ireland is currently 21%. Off course if you not exceed €22 there is no any VAT.

23% since the budget in December!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭TommyGun

cnocbui wrote: »

The preceding model, the GH2 is cheaper and was the best stills camera that does video you could get until the GH3 came out. The GH2 delivers higher quality video for the price than anything else available.

Silent focusing is an inherent quality of some lenses, which the GH2 can use as well as the GH3 can.

This is the cam I have, I am very pleased with the video. I use it for dof and elegant shots for my video business.
    Gerry

Advertisement