Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I SIGN OFF BTEA AFTER EXAMS

Options
  • 04-03-2013 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭

HI

Im in my first year of college and currently receiving BTEA. Im curious to know what happens when i finish term and sign off BTEA. Am i required to sign back on job seekers allowance and stay in the country or can I work full time and or leave the country?Will this affect my BTEA for the coming college year? What rate would by job seekers allowance be at now also?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Nymeria

Hi OP,

As far as I'm aware you will have to revert back to jobseekers for the summer period, and will be required to sign on at your local social welfare office every month.
    You should have received a letter in the post to be stamped and signed by your University stating the date you will finish. I think you have about 2 or 3 weeks from that date to present yourself at your local SW office to go back on JB. After that they give you the monthly dates for signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,932 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

HI

Im in my first year of college and currently receiving BTEA. Im curious to know what happens when i finish term and sign off BTEA. Am i required to sign back on job seekers allowance and stay in the country or can I work full time and or leave the country?Will this affect my BTEA for the coming college year? What rate would by job seekers allowance be at now also?

Thanks

You should just go to the social welfare office and sign on for jobseekers allowance.

You can work full time - you just inform the social welfare.

The rate of your JSA for the summer will still depend on your age
    3.3 Duration of Payment

Normally, the back to education allowance is payable for the duration of the academic year only. The allowance is NOT payable for the summer period between academic years to BTEA participants who were in receipt of Jobseekers Allowance or Jobseekers Benefit prior to participation in the scheme.

Persons who were in receipt of One-Parent Family Payment, Deserted Wife's Allowance, Deserted Wife's Benefit, Widow's/Widower's Non-Contributory Pension, Widow's/Widower's Contributory Pension, Prisoner's Wife's Allowance, Disability Allowance, Blind Pension, Invalidity Pension, Incapacity Supplement, Carer's Allowance or Illness Benefit prior to participation in the scheme are not affected by this condition and retain payment during the summer period provided they are returning and progressing to the next year of their course of study. In the case of participants who qualified from an OFP claim received after 27th April 2011, there is provision for continued payment of BTEA and IQC for people until completion of the course of study if the youngest child reaches 14 years during the course of study.

Where BTEA participants (Second or Third Level Option) are unable to find employment during the summer period, subject to satisfying the usual qualifying conditions, they may be entitled to claim an unemployment payment (JA/JB).

In circumstances where BTEA participants have to, as an integral or compulsory part of their course of study, undertake a period of work placement/experience or a thesis, the allowance will continue in payment for this period. The participant must supply written evidence from the Registrars’ Office/Admissions Office or Student Records Office of the school/college/institution confirming this and the start and completion date. Work placement after the completion of a FIT course is not covered.

SWLO's will contact, in March/April of each year, BTEA participants who were previously in receipt of an unemployment payment to determine their intentions for the new academic year. Participants will also be requested to supply the date of last attendance for the current academic year. Payment of the allowance will continue to this date.

Failure to notify the Department of intentions in respect of the forthcoming academic year will result in the immediate suspension of the Back to Education Allowance.

BTEA participants who are progressing to the next year of their course or who are progressing from second level to third level approved undergraduate qualifications will have their BTEA reinstated from the commencement of the new academic year irrespective of whether they were in receipt of an unemployment payment for the summer period. All participants must supply written confirmation from school/college/institute that they have registered as a full-time day student for the new academic year. Participants are also required to notify the Department of cessation of participation on a course.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement