Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off the Ball Team Leaves Newstalk

Options
  • 04-03-2013 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/other/2013/0304/1224330779064.html
    Newstalk Radio’s award-winning Off the Ball team have resigned from the station today with immediate effect.

The show is set to continue this evening but it will be hosted by sports editor and original host Ger Gilroy, who will be joined by remaining members of staff Cian Murtagh, David McIntyre and Joe Molloy.

“Newstalk has confirmed that Eoin McDevitt, Simon Hick, Ken Early, Ciaran Murphy and Mark Horgan have resigned from its sports department,” a statement read this afternoon.

“Ger Gilroy, Newstalk sports editor, who devised Off the Ball in 2002, will be joined by mainstays of the Newstalk sports team - Cian Murtagh, David McIntyre and Joe Molloy - in taking over the running of the show, starting tonight.

“Newstalk would like to thank Eoin, Simon, Ken, Ciaran and Mark for their contributions to the station and wish them luck in their future endeavours.”

A scheduling dispute with management is believed to have led to the resignations, with a team understood to have wanted an earlier slot.

George Hook, who hosts the drivetime show (4.40pm to 7pm) that precedes Off The Ball said on Twitter: “After years of innovative sport, the Off the Ball team have decided to seek fame and fortune elsewhere.”

The news will shock and disappoint loyal listeners who tuned in to the three-hour show on weekdays between 7pm and 10pm (7pm to 9pm on Fridays) for its irreverent but insightful coverage of national and international sport.

Already fans and contributors have taken to social media to express their disbelief. Irish Times Football Correspondent Emmet Malone, tweeted: “Am hoping the lads from Off the Ball have been poached en masse by a rival that writes much bigger cheques. Otherwise, it's terrible news.”

Wow.

Those guys are actually fantastic. Newstalk is utterly stupid. EVERYONE tunes into these chaps. Going to cost them a fortune in the long run.

If the team breaks up I for one want to say THANK YOU guys for all the laughs and brilliant interviews

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 miker1983

Bad news, they're a great team. Won't be the same show without them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

EVERYONE tunes into these chaps.
    I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Ken Early would give an asprin a headache.....and as for 'Murph', if he was half as funny as he thought he was he'd be twice as funny as he is

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Decent show but wont miss Ken Earlys waffle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Probably on their way to RTE.
    Prepare to be neutered lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Ken Early and Roy Keane, listen to Ken squirm :D

http://balls.ie/football/ken-and-roy-a-love-that-would-never-just-never/

I have never heard any of their names, before now.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭northernpower

Really disappointed. Living in Cardiff its great to tune into these boys every evening and have that bit of contact with things happening at home in sport.

Not just as a sports show, but the way its delivered as a few lads that enjoy each others company made it great entertainment.

They'll be missed and i'm sure it'll prove to be a massive mistake by newstalk in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

kfallon wrote: »
    Ken Early would give an asprin a headache.....and as for 'Murph', if he was half as funny as he thought he was he'd be twice as funny as he is
    Philistine. McDevitt is the best thing about the show but Ken and Murph are very able sidekicks. Ken especially is hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

can't stand george hook.

When Neil Armstrong died he said "But really, besides going to the moon what else did he do"

HE WENT TO THE ****ING MOON YOU ****ING TARD.

Btw, I've never heard of those sports guys till now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Grayson wrote: »
    can't stand george hook.

When Neil Armstrong died he said "But really, besides going to the moon what else did he do"

HE WENT TO THE ****ING MOON YOU ****ING TARD.

now now, George Hook can pause and rewind live Sky, going to the moon has nothing on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Terrible news, hope the team stick together and pop yo somewhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Listened most nights when I'm on late shift.
    Thought it was an excellent sports show..
    I for one will miss it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I've a passing interest in sport, nothing more. But these guys were great presenters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

For a second there, I almost cared.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I have never heard any of their names, before now.
    Grayson wrote: »

I can only pity you both for the empty void that is present in your lives.

You have missed out on the best radio programme to grace the airwaves anywhere over the last decade.

For a second there, I almost cared.
    Rubbish post. Trying to give off an air of carefree nonchalance but comes across as you trying way too hard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Just listening now and it was said that the lads 'made a pitch to start at 6 instead of 7' but couldn't be accommodated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Maybe Dennis O'Brien is skint?

Newstalk have messed up here.

Pighead wrote: »
    Rubbish post. Trying to give off an air of carefree nonchalance but comes across as you trying way too hard.

It was a class post I'll have you know, how very dare you.

I often listened in to the programme if I was driving, mostly because there was nothing else on. I won't miss those particular presenters, my thoughts would be similar to kfallon (think I got the name right) on the first page.

I'd prefer to listen to Pat Kenny :D:p :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

That doesn't make sense. Pat Kenny isn't on at that time.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    That doesn't make sense. Pat Kenny isn't on at that time.

Podcast :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

gutted. many a dark cold night in the car made brighter by the lads. can't believe how idiotic newstalk are to allow this to happen. hopefully they and the show stick together.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Newstalk is utterly stupid. EVERYONE tunes into these chaps. Going to cost them a fortune in the long run.
    Nobody listens to that show, I know I don't. It's the point in the day I decide I've had enough radio for one day. There's far to much lazy sport shows on the radio to just fill in time. Extend Hooks show out to fill the gap I say!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

Not got a clue who they are

Did they take turns presenting telly bingo

ScumLord wrote: »
    Extend Hooks show out to fill the gap I say!

Give Michael Graham his own Newstalk show :D

It was a class post I'll have you know, how very dare you.

I often listened in to the programme if I was driving, mostly because there was nothing else on. I won't miss those particular presenters, my thoughts would be similar to kfallon (think I got the name right) on the first page.

Pighead has no problem with the fact that you're not a fan of the show. No problem at all. Problem arose when you wandered into the conversation with your horrible 'I almost cared' remark. So snide. So snotty. So bleugh.

Truth be told that comment made Pighead want to smash your face in. The red mist set in big time but thankfully the cool has been restored and the fists are now unclenched.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Denis likes to operate on a shoestring, as his other radio interests have learnt. You can bet he took one look at Off the Ball and asked why he needed a dozen sports hacks when two or one would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

I think the guys may have made a mistake (maybe not financially, as they may have a nice contract signed) as it was the format of the show which was so good, it allowed them to speak freely. If they can replace Ken Early who was a love/hate presenter then i think they'll be fine.

• Advertisement

Pighead wrote: »
    Pighead has no problem with the fact that you're not a fan of the show. No problem at all. Problem arose when you wandered into the conversation with your horrible 'I almost cared' remark. So snide. So snotty. So bleugh.

Truth be told that comment made Pighead want to smash your face in. The red mist set in big time but thankfully the cool has been restored and the fists are now unclenched.

Gee, thanks :D

I like to spread a little sunshine everywhere I go :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement