Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I need help.

• 04-03-2013 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone,

Okay, so, I'm taking part in a variety show in 10 days, and I am performing two magic tricks. Now I have one trick sorted and in the bag, the spike roulette trick, but I'm stuck for another. I was wondering if anyone knows a trick that would be scary enough for Leaving Certs, but ok for 11/12 year olds.

Thank You.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭sensormatic

if you can cut the wife in half she's your for that trick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Hey everyone,

Okay, so, I'm taking part in a variety show in 10 days, and I am performing two magic tricks. Now I have one trick sorted and in the bag, the spike roulette trick, but I'm stuck for another. I was wondering if anyone knows a trick that would be scary enough for Leaving Certs, but ok for 11/12 year olds.

Thank You.

Scary? A razor blade swallow?

If you wanted to go with something suitable for a group and generally entertaining, I would go with the tossed out deck. If you want to go for a laugh, do the old paper balls over the head thing with a spectator.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Thanks for the suggestions guys but the time has come and passed.

It went very well for me so I'm happy

Thanks for the suggestions guys but the time has come and passed.

It went very well for me so I'm happy

Sorry, I did not notice the original post was a month old.

What did you perform?

I did a card trick (sorry, don't know the name :( ) where i got someone up from the audience and they picked a card, put it into the middle of the deck, i would get their card to the top but it would go wrong, and i go through a few cards then take out a sheet with "instructions" on it and the name of their card. I also did the Spike Roulette trick with my old principal and it went well, but I was nervous so I tied it in to the routine and did a fake cough and asked someone for a drink, and then did the refilling-can trick with a can out of the bin and went from there. It was my first time performing infront of a crowd, and I got a standing ovation :D but my nerves were through the roof.

Now, I need more help, I impressed a man in the audience and he asked me to perform at a ForÓige event infront of 300 people at Breaffy House on the 11th of May, so i will need some tricks to do while mingling in the crowd. Sorry if i don't exactly know what you're on about because I'm kinda new to the magic scene.

• Advertisement

They seem to have dumped you right into the deep end!

There is a Pat Page book that was released recently, I have heard it has a section on comedy stage effects like the paper balls (Chapter 10). It's available here - http://www.patrickpagemagic.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=34

I'm a close up magician, so I tend to stay away from alot of the stuff that would be suitable for stage. Where in the country are you based? I might know of a person or a group in the area that might be willing to give you some advice.

I'm a mayo man, and I'll be honest, I'm not going to spend £63 on a book for the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

I'm a mayo man, and I'll be honest, I'm not going to spend £63 on a book for the show.

Can you speaky/parly the French?

If so, I may have a link for you.

Yes, I know a bit of french.

Yes, I know a bit of french.

PM envoy-eh-ed.

• Advertisement

You spend money to advance your skill and to learn from other performers who deserve to be compensated for sharing their skills.

oeb wrote: »
    You spend money to advance your skill and to learn from other performers who deserve to be compensated for sharing their skills.

I would have no problem in getting it, but I am not sure how much use i'd make of it, as this might be a one off show. If I was sure it would be more than once, i'd buy it right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭lmao

I would have no problem in getting it, but I am not sure how much use i'd make of it, as this might be a one off show. If I was sure it would be more than once, i'd buy it right now.

You are fishing, plain and simple!

lmao wrote: »
    You are fishing, plain and simple!

What does fishing mean?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

I think whats going on here is that some people reckon that you're on here to fish for ideas / effects for a once off show.
    You appear to have found yourself a reasonably handy gig for 300 people (which I assume you aren't doing for free) , therefore it would be reasonable that you spend money to learn a few effects properly. Lets be honest ambitious card may go down a storm close up , but you wont get away with it in front of 300.
    Its time to up your game and spend some time , money and effort (mostly time and effort) to put something together to entertain people.

As a for instance last year I saw Luke Jermay do a tossed out deck routine (€15 from anywhere) , it wasn't the effect that sold it , it was his patter , his story behind the effect. Thats what separates someone "who's handy with a deck of cards" and an entertainer.

First of all, I apologize to anyone I offended. I did not mean to. I think also I might need to explain my background before I continue. I think some people may have overestimated my age, I'm 16 and only really getting into performing magic now. The fact I'm being given a 15 minute slot to fill is still a bit surprising to me.

I have no problem in spending money for tutorial sets, but I would prefer not to spend €70-ish euro at this stage, but I would definitely do it in the future. If there is a set for under €30 out there that someone would recommend, I will definitely look at it.

I was keen to find out which kind of tricks (Sponge, card, mind reading, etc...) would be good for close up tricks.

First of all, I apologize to anyone I offended. I did not mean to. I think also I might need to explain my background before I continue. I think some people may have overestimated my age, I'm 16 and only really getting into performing magic now. The fact I'm being given a 15 minute slot to fill is still a bit surprising to me.

I have no problem in spending money for tutorial sets, but I would prefer not to spend €70-ish euro at this stage, but I would definitely do it in the future. If there is a set for under €30 out there that someone would recommend, I will definitely look at it.

I was keen to find out which kind of tricks (Sponge, card, mind reading, etc...) would be good for close up tricks.

16 years old, got a gig, then got a second gig with 300 people... that's going to grind some gears.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 deebag14

if you can cut the wife in half she's your for that trick

Advertisement