Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to qualify for dole

Options
  • 04-03-2013 5:17pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A friend of mine fines himself in the following situation.

Work for the last 8 years as an architect. About 6 months ago he was let go and start a contract role with another company. Current company is now on shakey ground.

He is wondering if he qualify for jobs seeker benefit. From the citizens info website he (and I!) cant make out if he does.

Assuming the current tax years started on the 1st of jan he has no Class 1 PRSI contributions.

In the previous year he has approx 38 weeks Class A prsi contributions in 2012 and 52 in 2011.

So based on what my understanding he is ok for dole but the self employed/contractor aspect of it confuses me. Does this automatically rule him out or what?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Claims for JSB made now will use 2011 as the qualifying year (stamps wise)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

mp22 wrote: »
    Claims for JSB made now will use 2011 as the qualifying year (stamps wise)

Does the contracting work come into it at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭petersburg2002

godtabh wrote: »

Does the contracting work come into it at all?

He will be classed as self employed, so welfare will probably want to see accounts etc. Might delay his claim a bit. But he should get Jobseeker's benefit in the basis of his 2011 stamps. But welfare don't make it easy for self employed people.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Sue Ellen

While he is on benefit the self employment won't come into account. He can get JSB for 9 months and then he will have to apply for JSA if he is still unemployed. The fact that he was contracting and the contract is finished should make the JSA self employment means assessment more straight forward.

Advertisement