Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half Price Fish in Tesco

Options
  • 04-03-2013 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭

Have been visiting Tesco recently on a sunday morning (Navan Rd) and there is half price fish, every time near the fish counter. We bought some loins of Cod, that were about €8 a kilo. The fish is very fresh. I picked up about 2kg yesterday and froze it.

They have haddock, mackarel, cod and whiting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

May contain sea horse!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

chris85 wrote: »
    May contain sea horse!

That is so old at this stage.

Move along there.

Have been visiting Tesco recently on a sunday morning (Navan Rd) and there is half price fish, every time near the fish counter. We bought some loins of Cod, that were about €8 a kilo. The fish is very fresh. I picked up about 2kg yesterday and froze it.

Some fresh mackarel straight off the trawler in Howth and cooked on the bone with some lemon juice...is about the nicest thing you can eat.Served with some brown rice too.

Very healthy for you.:D

Or you could go and catch your own.;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

You mean re-froze it... They actually have the worst fish of any supermarket in the country. Cod is all from frozen at sea cod and everything looks about a week old.
    In navan you can smell their fish counter from the front door of the shop.
    Their cod loins come frozen from china, thawed down in cork and sent to all the tescos ;)

niallam wrote: »
    You mean re-froze it... They actually have the worst fish of any supermarket in the country. Cod is all from frozen at sea cod and everything looks about a week old.
    Their cod loins come frozen from china, thawed down in cork and sent to all the tescos ;)

You 110% sure about that?

Alot of trawlers land their cod and hadock in fish crates/ice boxes that are filled on top with some ice...to keep the catch fresh....not to freeze them

Not every trawler in the fleet has a "frozen at sea" facility on board .

• Advertisement

Same way I could be sure that if your buying mackerel off a boat your breaking the law because technically your the point of first sale so it's your responsibility to log it with dept of agriculture :) I know a little about fish ;)
    Tesco have herring when they're out if season as well? Makes you wonder :D
    Tesco don't know they're buying frozen stuff more than likely.

Same way I could be sure that if your buying mackerel off a boat your breaking the law because technically your the point of first sale so it's your responsibility to log it with dept of agriculture :) I know a little about fish ;)
    Tesco have herring when they're out if season as well? Makes you wonder :D
    Tesco don't know they're buying frozen stuff more than likely.

But who said I bought it?

I didnt.

Who said we didnt head out on the trawler for a domestic/pleasure angling trip..and catch for our own personal consumption?

You see,I know a little about the fish industry too and also about sea angling.;)

PS-If you take some pebbles off the beach,then you are breaking the law too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Can you catch Mackerel around this time of year?

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

vicwatson wrote: »
    Can you catch Mackerel around this time of year?

Yes, but unlikely to get it close to shore.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,833 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Will be around May at the earliest when you can catch them inshore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,115 ✭✭✭✭Esel

paddy147 wrote: »
    Some fresh mackarel straight off the trawler ...
    very healthy for you.
    Think I read recently mackerel is nowhere nearly as healthy for you as previously thought? It is delicious though....

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Yes, but unlikely to get it close to shore.

is it not still a bit early, i normally didnt go out til may to start the macks

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

What's the betting that "Cod" in Tesco is actually Vietnamese Catfish like much of what is served in the chippers.

MadsL wrote: »
    What's the betting that "Cod" in Tesco is actually Vietnamese Catfish like much of what is served in the chippers.

Cos cod looks like pangasius? As muck as their fish is they've managed to get the correct species.
    And as for chippers don't believe what you hear, that's common in the UK but I'd say at least 99% here use cod, actually the same frozen at sea you buy "fresh" in tesco but with the skin off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭Morph the Cat

chris85 wrote: »
    May contain sea horse!

Yawn. How original... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Whats wrong with you people? Its fresh fish from the sea. My kids love it, I baked a large piece the other day and it was lovely. Its delicious with panko, fried quickly and far healthier than any of the muck that you buy pre processed.

Whats wrong with you people? Its fresh fish from the sea. My kids love it, I baked a large piece the other day and it was lovely. Its delicious with panko, fried quickly and far healthier than any of the muck that you buy pre processed.

What gave you the idea there was something wrong with anyone?
    It's not fresh from the sea, it's fresh from a block frozen at sea cod, size, colour and smell gives this away to anyone that knows fish.
    Nobody said it wasn't healthy either, just maybe try a fishmonger that's in the BIM Seafood Circle and part of the Responsible Irish Fish scheme and see the difference ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

What gave you the idea there was something wrong with anyone?
    It's not fresh from the sea, it's fresh from a block frozen at sea cod, size, colour and smell gives this away to anyone that knows fish.
    Nobody said it wasn't healthy either, just maybe try a fishmonger that's in the BIM Seafood Circle and part of the Responsible Irish Fish scheme and see the difference ;)

what a load bollocks - go into your local fishmonger and try and find a single piece of cod that isnt brought in this way. Also whilst you are there, try find some whole fish thats down as 'Irish'. I was in Wrights last week in Howth and I saw one. Orange Roughy.

I'm all for sustainable food sources and quality of product, but this is a bargain alert for Fish from Tesco, if you dont like the quality, go elsewhere . I personally find some of the fishmongers to be complete arseholes in Dublin - they never have what I want (generally tuna loin for sushi) and are totally clueless when I tell them exactly what it is I am looking for. Its like it a sin to ask a question about fish to a fishmonger. And I'm putting Kish (SF & Coolock), Wrights (Fairview & Howth) and Fallon & Byrne in on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭bb12

Unfortunately mackerel is no longer seen as a sustainable fish so I would avoid these days.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/tasty-but-no-longer-sustainable-fear-over-mackerel-overfishing-8460770.html

• Advertisement

what a load bollocks - go into your local fishmonger and try and find a single piece of cod that isnt brought in this way. Also whilst you are there, try find some whole fish thats down as 'Irish'. I was in Wrights last week in Howth and I saw one. Orange Roughy.

I'm all for sustainable food sources and quality of product, but this is a bargain alert for Fish from Tesco, if you dont like the quality, go elsewhere . I personally find some of the fishmongers to be complete arseholes in Dublin - they never have what I want (generally tuna loin for sushi) and are totally clueless when I tell them exactly what it is I am looking for. Its like it a sin to ask a question about fish to a fishmonger. And I'm putting Kish (SF & Coolock), Wrights (Fairview & Howth) and Fallon & Byrne in on this.

Orange Roughy should be protected, unless it was French it shouldn't be on their counter really ;)
    Anyway, your sashimi grade fresh tuna will also have been frozen before you buy it.

I know this has gone way off the BA topic so sorry about that but I don't agree that cheap inferior product should be a bargain no matter how cheap it is.

Orange Roughy should be protected, unless it was French it shouldn't be on their counter really ;)
    Anyway, your sashimi grade fresh tuna will also have been frozen before you buy it.

I know this has gone way off the BA topic so sorry about that but I don't agree that cheap inferior product should be a bargain no matter how cheap it is.

the funny thing is, that I am normally on your side of the fence, but in this case the cod is perfectly acceptable, a decent product, very edible and a bargain alert.

You just cannot beat the original

Legend of Green Street !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

C'mon - more fishy banter please - this is so educational !

• Registered Users Posts: 22,115 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Tesco ... sunday morning (Navan Rd).. half price fish ... bought some loins of Cod... very fresh. I ... froze it.
    You mean re-froze it... Cod is all from frozen at sea cod...
    You 110% sure about that? ... Not every trawler in the fleet has a "frozen at sea" facility on board .
    Its fresh fish from the sea.
    It's not fresh from the sea, it's fresh from a block frozen at sea cod... Nobody said it wasn't healthy either...
    Is it OK health-wise to re-freeze this? I thought in general re-freezing was a 'bad thing'?

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »

Is it OK health-wise to re-freeze this? I thought in general re-freezing was a 'bad thing'?

Yes, as long as the product has been thawed without coming over 4-5 degrees then you should be able to re freeze but it's not really a recommended practice, that's why it's easier to just say no :) does nothing for the quality of the fish though.

1 Tesco I've been in has the sign "may have been frozen" on their cod.
    It either has or hasn't?

Esel wrote: »

By freezing fish the quality rapidly deteriorates, though won't do you any harm.

Fish is very delicate and is prone to going off quite quick if not handled/stored correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Some fresh mackarel straight off the trawler in Howth and cooked on the bone with some lemon juice...is about the nicest thing you can eat.Served with some brown rice too.

Very healthy for you.:D

Or you could go and catch your own.;):D

Its a bit early in the year to catch your own off the pier. Have to wait till APril at least and best time is June/July!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Matpuk4321

If ya haven't tried. Monkfish you have not lived.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭gazzaman22

Matpuk4321 wrote: »
    If ya haven't tried. Monkfish you have not lived.

WTF??? Over a year old.... your first post .... glad I didnt miss it :-p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement