Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anonymous emailing websites liability?

Options
  • 04-03-2013 1:05pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭

I came across a site today that allows you to send anonymous emails.
    This in itself is nothing new but this one has templates that allow you to send an anonymous email to someone complaining about their personal hygiene.

My question then is what liability to these sites have?

www.nooffenseoranything.com is one of these sites.

I would think that you cannot setup a service to allow someone to anonymously defame another person? Or would this even be defamation?
    Any other liability the site could be opening themselves up to?
    Rights of a receiver to gain the ip address of the person generating the email?

On another note with internet bullying the way it is I cannot understand why such a service exists. I would think more illegitimate uses then legitimate.

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

To answer all of the questions in the OP, there is no such thing as anonymity on the Internet. That is simply that.

To address liability: Defamation; Criminal and potentially tortious.

The nonsense in the media about cyber bullying. This is already addressed in law in this jurisdiction pursuant to section 10 of the Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act, 1997.

Advertisement