Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas hob - Ignition clicking?

Options
  • 04-03-2013 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭

I was cleaning around our "ancient" gas hob at the weekend and the ignition button has totally gone on it one of the burners which doesnt work too well started clicking a lot then intermitently it stopped all together yesterday then at it again last night and this morning :mad: Googled it and it probably was moisture getting into the burner part "i think" Anyway the hob is way too old to get fixed so am going to buy a new one anyone any good reccommodations should I buy a cheap one myself (from Argos/IKEA) and get a gas installer separate or buy one from the shop (DID/Harvey Norman) where there are dearer hobs but they will install it for you. Dont want to spend too much as money tight :( Not fussed about posh ones just a basic 4 burner gas hob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭deandean

Disconnect the electrical supply. Buy a BBQ gas lighter (with the long stem). Use the lighter to ignite the burners. Get another ten years out of it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

:) to be honest it's manky old so am pleased it's on the way out. I dont plan to be in the house for that long but that noise wrecking the head. Anyone with reccommendations on good electrical outlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

miss choc wrote: »
    Anyone with reccommendations on good electrical outlets.

If your now planning to switch to an Elecrtic Hob then you will need to be sure you have an adequete electrical supply for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

You will probably need to run a new cable from the fusebox, plus a new MCB in the fuse box, to the stove location.

Get an electrician in to check and price it as this will involve ripping up floor boards and probably cutting into your wall as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

:confused: Jeepers I have an electric oven so was really looking to see what was less hassle and cheaper to do I dont plan on being in the house for good so a basic hob is fine. I dont mind at this stage weather it's a gas or electric hob any help much appreciated I would like to get it in sooner rather than later missing it for cooking :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭anuprising

if you have an electric oven there should be no problem getting an electric hob fitted -
    where are you located roughly ?

anuprising wrote: »
    if you have an electric oven there should be no problem getting an electric hob fitted -
    where are you located roughly ?

An electric oven can run off a 3 pin plug, an Electric hob cannot.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

If you have both gas and electric now, I'd suggest staying that way, if for no other reason than it gives you some options in the event of a failure of supply from either source, it's unlikely that you will lose both at the same time. If the Electric fails, at least with gas available, you can boil a kettle and do some cooking. All electric can be a problem if the electric fails for any length of time.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Depends on whether the oven is connected via a "cooker" socket or not, if so it should save having to run a new circuit to the cooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭anuprising

an electric oven with a 3 pin plug should still be connected to the 32amp non rcd circuit as per regulations .
    don't complicate things neither of us know the set up

• Advertisement

anuprising wrote: »
    an electric oven with a 3 pin plug should still be connected to the 32amp non rcd circuit as per regulations .
    don't complicate things neither of us know the set up

In general most electric ovens are rated below 3kw and come with a 13a plug and do not need a 32a circuit, to advise the OP that they can simply fit their electric hob(which is curtainly rated above 3kw) to the same circuit as their oven is curtainly complication the issue for the OP.

Depends on whether the oven is connected via a "cooker" socket or not, if so it should save having to run a new circuit to the cooker.

I refer you back to my original post that stated " be sure you have an adequete electrical supply".

Advertisement