Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friends!

Options
  • 04-03-2013 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi there,

I am living in Blanchardstown until the end of august. Ive been here for 2 months already. I am here as part on work experience as part of my college degree. i am 20 years old!

Long story short! I'm looking to make friends! As pathetic as this may sound I'm incredibly lonely and having a miserable time... I was wondering if there is any clubs or anything to do as a way to meet new people?

Im not very sporty... and would be considered a nerd I guess...

so anyone wanna be my friend? :P

Thanks,

Killian

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,028 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

sorry Killian, this isnt that type of website! I think you'll have a lot more luck on Meetup.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭iMADEtheBBC

What a heartless, ignorant response. You should be ashamed of yourself and apologize.

Killian not everyone here is so lacking in understanding of your situation.

It's tricky to find non-sport groups where you can build your network of friends in the area.
    There is a local Toastmasters which you could consider. Don't rule out volunteering: the Localize group in Castleknock village is always looking for adult volunteers. Try looking at the Draiocht website for arts/drama events & classes.
    I'd suggest the local "Men Sheds" organization but you'll find that age group probably too old - no harm in looking though.

There's s Dublin Event Guide online (do a search) which will have listings of local events and groups which might interest you.

Good luck and well done for speaking up. Loneliness and related mental health issues in young men are challenging to deal with - hope you enjoy the remaining time in the area.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,028 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Good grief, over-react much?

Meetup.com are quite active in D15, and it's the ideal site for the op as it's all about meeting up with strangers, and getting out. It seems the ideal place for the OP to get a chance to get out and about, meet people in a variety of activities. So far from ignorant and heartless.

Boards is basically a discussion site, and while I've made a lot of friends via this site I don't think I'd recommend it as the ideal site for meeting people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Kzamll1992 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I am living in Blanchardstown until the end of august. Ive been here for 2 months already. I am here as part on work experience as part of my college degree. i am 20 years old!

Long story short! I'm looking to make friends! As pathetic as this may sound I'm incredibly lonely and having a miserable time... I was wondering if there is any clubs or anything to do as a way to meet new people?

Thanks,

Killian

There is a conversation group that meets every Wednesday evening in the library. I reckon this could be good for meeting new people.

• Company Representative Posts: 328 Verified rep BlanchLibrary

Kzamll1992 wrote: »
    Hi there,

Thanks,

Killian

Hi Killian,

As said above we have an English Conversation Group that meets every Wednesday in the Library at 6.30pm. It is very informal - you may like to drop in at some stage.

We also have French and Spanish Conversation Groups that meet in the Library in the evening time.

Have a look here for lots of other events that you may like to attend -
    http://www.fingalcoco.ie/CommunityRecreationandAmenitiesDepartment/Library/WhatsOn/
    There may be opportunities to meet new people at these events.

Hope this helps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭iMADEtheBBC

Gaspode wrote: »
    Good grief, over-react much?
    No. A perfectly reasonable response to an inappropriate post.
    Take a look at yourself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I know you said you're not sporty but would you be interested in a sport like kayaking??

Wild Water Kayak club on the Strawberry Beds have a very active social side of things as well as the kayaking. They do good beginners courses.

Www.wwkc.net

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

No. A perfectly reasonable response to an inappropriate post.
    Take a look at yourself.

If you have an issue with Gaspode's posts please take it up with him via PM and stop derailing this thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I've been wracking my brains for you Killian!

What about volunteering?? With St Vincent De Paul? Am sure you'd meet like minded people there.

Not to generalize or be sexist, a Stitch & Bitch group meet in starbucks...but I doubt you'd be in to that? ;)

*stitch and bitch aka knitting/ chatting group

• Advertisement

amdublin wrote: »
    I've been wracking my brains for you Killian!

What about volunteering?? With St Vincent De Paul? Am sure you'd meet like minded people there.
    At least you'll have something else to chat about at the next Stick & Bitch meetup :pac: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Kzamll1992

hi there! thank you everyone for all the suggestions! I will now look into a few of them! Much appreciated for the help! :D

Advertisement