Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby League Conditioning

Options
  • 03-03-2013 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi guys,

has anyone got any resources on rugby league specific conditioning?
    I'm used to playing union and played League today and it made me realize my conditioning needs to come up.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭MerryWhistleblo

Paul. haven't got links to hand but have heard that Dave Handcock of the Exiles is handling strength and conditioning for domestic rugby league. Links are on RLI site or facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Blue Magic

Rugby League. Only professional sport without drug testing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Blue Magic wrote: »
    Rugby League. Only professional sport without drug testing

???

Two things;

A: Utter Bollox
    B: What an outstanding contribution to the RL forum, you should come around more often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Its off topic, so apologies. Here though are a couple of decent links re. doping in RL

http://therfl.co.uk/anti-doping/

http://www.nrl.com/tabid/10874/newsId/57922/

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

OP is asking about conditioning required for RL. Not about doping. Furthermore, any further 'suggestions' of that sort Blue Magic and you won't have access to the forum for long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭PaulyBolger

Paul. haven't got links to hand but have heard that Dave Handcock of the Exiles is handling strength and conditioning for domestic rugby league. Links are on RLI site or facebook.

I had a quick look on the website and facebook and can't find anything.

I think that this is the link, www.optimumbodyconditioning.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭PaulyBolger

I think that this is the link, www.optimumbodyconditioning.ie.

High Intensity Interval Training

High Octane Cardio Training

Turbulence Training

Traing the Appropriate Muscle Fibers

Tabata Intervals

Complex Training

Metabolic Resistance Training

which one should i be looking at?

Sorry mate, I know nothing about conditioning etc. Dave Handcock is the strength and conditioning coach for RLI and can be found at bhttp://www.optimumbodyconditioning.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,582 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

out of curiosity , having not played the game , is league a tougher game to play than union ?

know it is a generalisation , but I have a fealing you would need to be fitter to play league , in a similar position , similar standard - scrum half/centre

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I thought since the pro era in union they were of a similar fitness standard. Not played any rugby since school though, so I also have no idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Faing

League and union have differing requirements. Fitness, per say, is required in both codes, fitness skills (if you like) vary. What is a must in league may not be a physical must in union and vice versa. I have played very little union but must admit that it requires just as much effort as League but tends to be played at a much slower pace and therefore, although requiring vast amounts of stamina does not require the same amount of recovery play enabling players to get a bit more rest. League is about speed ,especially at the play the ball and the effort of getting back 10 yards at the tackle is what many union players struggle with.
    As an aside, I hope that League can develop in Ireland, I find that most folk I talk to about rugby football are ignorant of even how and why league was created.

Advertisement