Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gap year anyone?

Options
  • 03-03-2013 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hey, I'm in fifth year at the moment and am planning on taking a gap year after the leaving cert. I would like to go on a round the world trip Jan 2015 to summer 2015, i wonder if anyone else has any sort of interest? Are any of you planning on taking a gap year and if so to do what? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

In my humble opinion, an extravagant waste of time and money but I am boring so on a tous des gouts differents i suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Can't really see the point of it to be honest, I personally think you'd be better off going to college for the 4 years, and just going off for the year after you get your degree.

You'd just end up spending the 6 months or so you're not travelling sitting around as your friends are in college, or working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

I'm hoping to spend some time in the US/Canada after my degree but I don't see any point to a gap year before going to university.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

that is all

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

Too expensive.. but I'm planning on going on holidays to Japan after Leaving cert -it'll most likely be during college holidays though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Evilgirl190

Hi guys, the reason I am going on a gap year then is because I will only just be 17 and my parents won't let me go to uni till I'm 18 so I'm planning on working 6 months an travelling for the other 6, I won't just be dossing about. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

They will let you travel around the world, but not go uni?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Hi guys, the reason I am going on a gap year then is because I will only just be 17 and my parents won't let me go to uni till I'm 18 so I'm planning on working 6 months an travelling for the other 6, I won't just be dossing about. :P

They don't want you going to uni til you are 18 but they would allow you go travelling for 6 months? That's a bit ridiculous!

I took a year out before college to work and travel (10 yrs ago). It was the best thing to do as I had time to love learning again. School sucked that outta me!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

I see a load of people going against the idea of a gap year. Yeah, it does cost a lot of money and all, but I'd say it's all worth it in the end. You'd really need to find a few jobs though while traveling to supply you with money. I would die for the opportunity to take a gap year and work abroad for a year. That way I'd do what I love (Travel around a country) and earn a bit of money for myself which I could also use for college the year after. It can be a very smart option if you have the time and you are able to find a job(s) in the country/countries you are staying.

I know there will be people saying ''oh just wait until you finish college'', but I don't see why one should. Make the most of your life in the present, you never know what might happen in the future. Again, living my dream and earning money for myself - I wouldn't say no to that! But everyone does have their own opinion about it!

Advertisement