Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 Accountancy Summer Internships/trainee positions/accounting job for the summer

Options
  • 03-03-2013 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

Hi, before i explain anything id just like to mention that the Big 4 is definitely out of the question as 1 it would be a bit unrealistic for me to apply for them and 2 its well past their application dates anyways

Im in 3rd year in college at the moment studying accountancy with the mindset of going back to college in september for 4th year and then passing and completing my professional accountancy exams after acquring my higher degree in accountancy from college

Id be more interested in the chartered accountancy area but any type of accountancy work would be very welcoming

As the title suggests I'm currently seeking a paid accountancy internship or a trainee position for the summer coming.
    I would very much appreciate the opportunity to gain experience and further knowledge and an insight into the world of accountancy

I have an intriguing CV and cover letter, my exam results are solid and I would be very enthusiastic and motivated if any job opportunities came my way.

So I was wondering if anyone would have any advice or tips or if anyone knows of some sort of accountancy work going in the summer coming I would very much appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭thefa

Chartered accountancy isn't a type of accountacy work but chartered accountants (CAI) is one of the accountancy bodies to qualify with as opposed to say Chartered Certified (ACCA) or certified (CPA).

I would think your best chance would be to go searching through the list below or any other local practices you know and contacting them to see would they be interested in taking you on for the summer.

You will only get a fraction of the interest, if any, if you are looking to be paid I would think. If your finances allowed, it would be worth working for free for the few months and having the experience on your CV for when you apply for full-time accountancy.

http://www.charteredaccountants.ie/Training-Firms-by-County

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭neiler987

thefa wrote: »
    You will only get a fraction of the interest, if any, if you are looking to be paid I would think.

http://www.charteredaccountants.ie/Training-Firms-by-County

Thank you for the link, ill have a good look through these practices and start enquiring and applying, im determined to get something for the summer.

Thats a good point about its less likely for me to get some work if im looking for paid work rather than not getting paid at all

of course the experience would be beneficial in the long term, and wearing a suit into the job if I got one would make a feel more grown up and would make me feel a bit better about myself as well :)

but i wouldn't be looking for extraordinary payments like, 8.65 for even 20 hours a week would be fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭neiler987

if anybody else can shed some light on my query could you please advise me ?

no luck so far with finding any work/internship at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭jjjd

neiler987 wrote: »
    if anybody else can shed some light on my query could you please advise me ?

no luck so far with finding any work/internship at the moment

Have you tried phoning firms in your area? A lot of small firms don't advertise, as generally they don't need to as they receive a lot of speculative applications anyway. A phone call can sometimes get you speaking to a hiring partner, while emailed or posted applications are often never read.

Advertisement