Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get married??!!

Options
  • 03-03-2013 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi all

So myself and the boyf are getting married. We've set a date and booked the hotel for October 2014 but have yet to decide on where we actually getting married. There is a church close to use and we are planning to meet with the priest there to see if it's free for that date. However, neither myself or H2B are particularly 'religious' and have talked about having a ceremony away from a church. The hotel we booked does have a room for the ceremony but with 3 groomsmen, 3 bridesmaids, 1 flower girl and 2 page boys I feel it might look ridiculous all trapsing into a small room, kind of overcrowded looking. We have thought about a museum or art gallery or somewhere else big and beautiful for the ceremony but dont think theres any near us. We live in Carlow and the hotel is in Newbridge.

Anyone know of anywhere for a ceremony between or near Carlow/Kildare??

Thanks
    (Sorry for the long post)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

What day of the week have you booked?

Huntington castle is a lovely spot in carlow, and is approved for civil ceremonies.
    http://www.huntingtoncastle.com/weddings/

But, civil ceremonies using the registrar can only take place on weekdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

Borris House, not sure but think they do and if not then Tom Colton can marry you there anyway in a civil ceremony.
    Lovely spot and only half hour from Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 maloney_liz

pwurple wrote: »
    What day of the week have you booked?

Huntington castle is a lovely spot in carlow, and is approved for civil ceremonies.
    http://www.huntingtoncastle.com/weddings/

But, civil ceremonies using the registrar can only take place on weekdays.

Thanks for replying! I was only looking at Huntington castle last night online. It is beautiful, but not sure they'd be happy allowing a wedding only happen there? We're getting married on a Friday, but have already booked a hotel for the reception and paid 1000 deposit so don't want to lose that...

niallam wrote: »
    Borris House, not sure but think they do and if not then Tom Colton can marry you there anyway in a civil ceremony.
    Lovely spot and only half hour from Carlow.

Thanks niallam. Again do you think borris house would be happy to allow us have the ceremony there but not the reception??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Thanks for replying! I was only looking at Huntington castle last night online. It is beautiful, but not sure they'd be happy allowing a wedding only happen there? We're getting married on a Friday, but have already booked a hotel for the reception and paid 1000 deposit so don't want to lose that...

Give them a call and ask maybe. The guy there is very friendly and helpful. If you are willing to pay for hire of the venue for the few hours for ceremony and for photos, I wouldn't see them having any problem with it. Some money is better than no money. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

My cousin is having four bridesmaids and four groomsmen, plus a flowergirl and they were told in no uncertain terms that only one bridesmaid and the Best Man could attend a civil ceremony. So they are just bringing their parents the day before, and getting a quickie.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

How about getting married in 1 spot and then just going somewhere nice for the pics. Might save a few quid that way as well.
    http://tomcolton.com/?page_id=792
    He can marry you pretty much anywhere and you can pretty much make your own ceremony. He's doing our wedding for us as we're not religious, moreso me than her :)

pwurple wrote: »

Give them a call and ask maybe. The guy there is very friendly and helpful. If you are willing to pay for hire of the venue for the few hours for ceremony and for photos, I wouldn't see them having any problem with it. Some money is better than no money. :)

Thanks. I definitely will get in touch.

Lux23 wrote: »
    My cousin is having four bridesmaids and four groomsmen, plus a flowergirl and they were told in no uncertain terms that only one bridesmaid and the Best Man could attend a civil ceremony. So they are just bringing their parents the day before, and getting a quickie.

Are they having the ceremony in the hotel or registry office?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Where are they having it? That's certainly not the norm. Never heard of more than one bridesmaid/groomsman being banned? I was one of three bridesmaids at a civil ceremony.

• Advertisement

niallam wrote: »
    How about getting married in 1 spot and then just going somewhere nice for the pics. Might save a few quid that way as well.
    http://tomcolton.com/?page_id=792
    He can marry you pretty much anywhere and you can pretty much make your own ceremony. He's doing our wedding for us as we're not religious, moreso me than her :)

I was looking at Tom coltons site last night aswell. It does sound perfect that you can choose your own ceremony etc. I'd be so on for that but oh doesn't seem too interested. Think he's wary of the whole spiritual side to it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

are there any stately homes or anything of that nature near you? if so approach them and see if the date is available. We got married in a stately home near us. We were the first couple to have a civil ceremony there and had to send in all the paperwork etc for it, but it was straight forward enough, so even if they have not had a ceremony there before they might be open to the idea. If that is available then just ring the registry office and check if there is a registrar free to do an offsite wedding on that date. If not, then a spiritualist such as Tom Colton is a possiblity, or by that stage the humanists should be available to do legal weddings so they might better suit your husband.

Just had a look at discover Ireland website and Harristown House in Kildare do weddings, or you could also ask in the local town hall. Most town halls are certified to hold weddings and if its a nice building then that would be a nice option (although not all town halls are very nice, but its just a suggestion).

Little Ted wrote: »
    are there any stately homes or anything of that nature near you? if so approach them and see if the date is available. We got married in a stately home near us. We were the first couple to have a civil ceremony there and had to send in all the paperwork etc for it, but it was straight forward enough, so even if they have not had a ceremony there before they might be open to the idea. If that is available then just ring the registry office and check if there is a registrar free to do an offsite wedding on that date. If not, then a spiritualist such as Tom Colton is a possiblity, or by that stage the humanists should be available to do legal weddings so they might better suit your husband.

Little ted that sounds exactly like what I was thinking of. But to be honest, I have no idea where that could be that's close to us. I'll searching though :-)

just edited my post to mention Harristown house - they seem to do weddings? or email your local council or the OPW - they will know what places in the area are permitted for weddings.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

This is most certainly not the case in Ireland. We had a quickie civil ceremony but were never told there was a limit on the numbers in the bridal party. Was your cousin told this by a HSE registrar? I've know people have large bridal parties in large function room ceremonies with no difficulties whatsoever. What difference would it make to the registrar how many bridesmaids or groomsman there were?

lazygal wrote: »
    This is most certainly not the case in Ireland. We had a quickie civil ceremony but were never told there was a limit on the numbers in the bridal party. Was your cousin told this by a HSE registrar? I've know people have large bridal parties in large function room ceremonies with no difficulties whatsoever. What difference would it make to the registrar how many bridesmaids or groomsman there were?

Yeah I think there may be a mix up here as to the poster who orignally said that. We too had a civil ceremony, and had 2 witnesses, but also had all our guests (52) at the ceremony. Perhaps the limit is for a particular venue where size is an issue? or perhaps relates to the registry being signed in a different room, in which case only the B&G and the witnesses would need to be present. Or perhaps they are telling fibs so that they don't have to involve everyone in the legal part and to avoid noses being out of joint! ;)

Advertisement