Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Battery or Alternator?

Options
  • 03-03-2013 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi, I'm experiencing some trouble with my car and any advice or thoughts would be most welcome!

I've noticed this problem for the past week or so that after starting my car, particularly in the mornings. My car starts fine and I can reverse out of my garden fine, but as I start to pull away the engine appears to just stop. This can happen also as I stop and wait to pull out of my estate or when I slow down to drive around a bend. I may have to restart the car and rev it hard before I pull out. Once I'm driving all seems to be ok. No lights have come on to indicate anything is specifically wrong but don't want to get stranded somewhere.

Any ideas on whether this sounds like a battery problem (seen as it starts fine) or an alternator problem???

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Hi, I'm experiencing some trouble with my car and any advice or thoughts would be most welcome!

I've noticed this problem for the past week or so that after starting my car, particularly in the mornings. My car starts fine and I can reverse out of my garden fine, but as I start to pull away the engine appears to just stop. This can happen also as I stop and wait to pull out of my estate or when I slow down to drive around a bend. I may have to restart the car and rev it hard before I pull out. Once I'm driving all seems to be ok. No lights have come on to indicate anything is specifically wrong but don't want to get stranded somewhere.

Any ideas on whether this sounds like a battery problem (seen as it starts fine) or an alternator problem???

Thanks in advance

Sounds more like a warm up issue. What car is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 maloney_liz

Its a 06 Renault Clio. Would it still be cold enough to be a warm up problem? Passed the NCT in December...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

TBH I know nothing about Renaults, but on my car there is a valve controlling the air intake and it gets sticky leaving me with a weak idle until the engine warms up. Try letting it warm up for a few minutes tomorrow before driving off. See if there's any difference.

Thanks Kenny, appreciate your advice. I'll try it in the morning :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭shooter88

It's unlikely its batt or alt if it keeps doing that without batt been charged for few weeks..it could be a fuel problem seen as it happens going around a corner.

• Advertisement

A problem with the fuel line? Sounds like this could be getting expensive to sort out already :(

Advertisement