Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family Income Supplement or Jobseekers Allowance?

Options
  • 03-03-2013 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

We applied for FIS in September, one week later my partner got a huge cut in his wages...but we were told we would have to wait until next September to renew our application to be assessed on his new lower income.
    So for now we have been awarded FIS (just came in a few days ago) based on my partner's earnings, which included some random overtime that he rarely gets, through the year...we got €28 p/week from FIS...
    We are wondering if I should apply for Jobseekers Allowance or something different to FIS, as we are calculating bills based on the FIS income & €28 p/week is, of course better than nothing...but a scary amount to be awarded when you go looking for help.

We have 2 children, one school going & one baby, so I am unsure if I could even apply for Jobseekers as any job I get offered will of course have to cover the massive cost of full time childcare for a baby & part time on term for a school going child also.
    My husband works full time & comes home with average weekly wage of €490 now, where FIS sent out a letter stating the €28 p/week is based on our total assessable family income.... his average weekly earnings of €556 (this was cut in September, a week after application to FIS)

I am not familiar with social welfare allowances, I am learning some from the Citizens advice website, so any help in what direction we could turn next would be very much appreciated.

Thanks !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

In order to qualify for jobseekers allowance you have to be available and looking for full time work. It will also be your partners gross income less prsi, union dues and avc(if he is paying these) that is assessed for mean for jsa. As he is in receipt of FIS you will get a personal rate of €188 and half rate for each child €14.90 x2 (you will not get an adult dependant on your claim while partner is in receipt of FIS) which will total €217.80 this is your starting point. Lets assume that €490 is the gross figure less prsi...there is a €60 disregard....€430 and 60% of €430 is the means normally applied to jsa from partners earning but as he is in receipt of FIS only half of his means are applied to your claim. This figure comes out at €129 which will be deducted from €217.80 giving you a jsa claim of €88 approx.

Advertisement