Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A1in business

Options
  • 03-03-2013 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any tips on how to get an A1 in business? Just got my mock back and got 60% which I was pretty disappointed with :( the examiner marked it really hard and I followed the state explain example rule! For one question about the rights if a consumer under the sale of goods and supply of sevices act I wrote a good four points on how the goods must be of merchantable quality etc. and only got 24/30? It's like the correcter refused to give full marks :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

Go through the main points of a chapter and do the exam questions in that topic I what I do

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭rugrats

You need to make sure you give more than enough information. You might think you gave enough information for the sales of goods and supply of services question, but the probability is you really didn't. Examiners, be them correctors for mocks or the real LC never "mark you hard". They (for the most part) give you marks for what you deserve to get marks for.

The thing about that question is it is really finicky. I did it on my mock too. You need to make sure you state the clauses of the acts, and then follow it up by a separate explain point. Make sure the explanation isn't just repetition of the statement. It's very easy to do that in a question where the "state" part is a sentence in itself. If you feel you haven't explained it totally, or your answer looks a bit bare, add in an example for good measure. They can give you marks for that if it explains the concept.

Make sure for a question for 20 points, you include 4 relevant and totally separate points. If they are similar points, they won't be accepted as separate. A question for 25 marks should have 5 points. Usually a question with 30 marks is an evaluate or illustrate question, so make sure you have 5 points at least with the added example of evaluation with "I think". They won't mark an evaluation without your opinion being clearly expressed.
    If there's a 30 mark question, and it doesn't say illustrate or evaluate, do your damnedest to get 6 full points.

Make sure you don't misinterpret the question incicators.
    Explain: State, explain
    Outline:" "
    Illustrate: an example is compulsory along with state and explain
    Evaluate: state, explain, personal evaluation.

I'd love to actually read your answer just to see how the examiner marked you down. Could you scan it and throw up a photo of it? If you get 24/30 in a question, it sounds like you know your stuff, you just need to make sure you know exactly how they want you to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

Ya put up your answer, odds are you didn't evaluate or discuss adequately. Haven't got my mock result back yet so could be in for a shock but the business test from what I can see is a test of speed and exam technique more than knowledge...

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

The question was:
    (i) Describe the rights of consumers under the sale of goods and supply of services act 1980
    (i) Outline 2 forms of redress available to consumers for breach of the Act.
    (30 marks)

This was my answer:
    -Under the sale of goods and supply of services Act 1980, when consumers are purchasing a good, it must be of merchantable quality which means that the good must be of reasonable quality for the price paid. The good should not be damaged in any way and any faults must be pointed out to the consumer at the time of purchase. eg. a new phone should work when taken out of the box at home.
    -The goods must also be fit for purpose. The good should do what it is intended to do. eg. A waterproof rain jacket should keep a person dry and not let water through.
    -The goods should also be as described eg. If a curtain in a catalogue stated that it was blue with a gold design it should not be red with a blue design.
    - The good must also correspond to the sample. If a consumer is buying dulux paint and in the tester at the shop it was a dark blue, it should not be a light blue when they open the tin of paint at home.

(ii) -A consumer is entitled to redress if they were denied their rights in any way. They would be entitled to a full refund if the good did not satisfy any of the above statements. A consumers rights are not effected and they get all the money paid for the product back.
    - They may also be offered a repair if there was a fault with the good so the good is sent back to the manufacturer and fixed. However if the consumer is still unhappy after they get a repair, they are entitled to a full refund.

After reading over my answer i think that the examples used werent very good and it probably should be longer. Some of the points i gave were qite short aswell. I havent seen the marking scheme yet so im not sure if part (ii) was worth 15 marks cause i assumed that part (i) was 20 marks and (ii) was 10 so i could have lost marks there.

Anyway thank you for the advice and I agree that the business exam is more of a test for timing than for knowledge and I would be a very slow writer which doesnt help! :(

Another question was:
    Evaluate the importance for Ireland for any two of the following EU policies
    • Common Fisheries Policy
    • Competition Policy
    • Common Agriculture policy

Common Agriculture policy
    - The Cap was devisied with the objectives of maintaining a fair wage for farmers who have always seen their incomes lag behind industrial jobs.
    -CAP benefits irish farmers by helping to keep them in the farming industry while also preventing huge wage fluctuations
    - CAP also helps to develop Irelands tourism industry by providing grants to farmers to build slatted houses. They also encourage farmers to expand their farm by turning it into an open farm
    - Overall, I think CAP has been extremely beneficial to Ireland. Since joining the EU Ireland has benefited from 41 million euro from the CAP.

Common Fisheries Policy
    -The CFP was devised with the objective of reserving endangered fish species.
    - It has put quotas on the amount of fish that can be caught and has a law on the size of fishing nets.
    -It also has a law to prevent foreign boats overfishing irish waters for 12 miles off shore. This helps to protect Irish fishermen.
    -Overall, i think the CFP has been a huge success to Ireland as it helps to protect Irish fishermen but also helps to conserve certain fish species.

There was 20 marks going for this question and i only got 8/20?? :( I left it till the end so i did rush through it.

• Advertisement

The question was:
    (i) Describe the rights of consumers under the sale of goods and supply of services act 1980
    (30 marks)

This was my answer:
    -Under the sale of goods and supply of services Act 1980, when consumers are purchasing a good, it must be of merchantable quality which means that the good must be of reasonable quality for the price paid. The good should not be damaged in any way and any faults must be pointed out to the consumer at the time of purchase. eg. a new phone should work when taken out of the box at home.
    -The goods must also be fit for purpose. The good should do what it is intended to do. eg. A waterproof rain jacket should keep a person dry and not let water through.
    -The goods should also be as described eg. If a curtain in a catalogue stated that it was blue with a gold design it should not be red with a blue design.
    - The good must also correspond to the sample. If a consumer is buying dulux paint and in the tester at the shop it was a dark blue, it should not be a light blue when they open the tin of paint at home.

(ii) -A consumer is entitled to redress if they were denied their rights in any way. They would be entitled to a full refund if the good did not satisfy any of the above statements. A consumers rights are not effected and they get all the money paid for the product back.
    - They may also be offered a repair if there was a fault with the good so the good is sent back to the manufacturer and fixed. However if the consumer is still unhappy after they get a repair, they are entitled to a full refund.

After reading over my answer i think that the examples used werent very good and it probably should be longer. Some of the points i gave were qite short aswell. I havent seen the marking scheme yet so im not sure if part (ii) was worth 15 marks cause i assumed that part (i) was 20 marks and (ii) was 10 so i could have lost marks there.

Anyway thank you for the advice and I agree that the business exam is more of a test for timing than for knowledge and I would be a very slow writer which doesnt help! :(

Your first answer doesn't mention services. You should also have mentioned that this act doesn't allow signs which take away from a customers statutory rights, guarantees can only add to customers rights and retailers must take full responsibility for a customer complaint.

As for your second I know there isn't much more to say but you need to bulk up on examples and that to account for the points.

Another question was:
    Evaluate the importance for Ireland for any two of the following EU policies
    • Common Fisheries Policy
    • Competition Policy
    • Common Agriculture policy

Common Agriculture policy
    - The Cap was devisied with the objectives of maintaining a fair wage for farmers who have always seen their incomes lag behind industrial jobs.
    -CAP benefits irish farmers by helping to keep them in the farming industry while also preventing huge wage fluctuations
    - CAP also helps to develop Irelands tourism industry by providing grants to farmers to build slatted houses. They also encourage farmers to expand their farm by turning it into an open farm
    - Overall, I think CAP has been extremely beneficial to Ireland. Since joining the EU Ireland has benefited from 41 million euro from the CAP.

Common Fisheries Policy
    -The CFP was devised with the objective of reserving endangered fish species.
    - It has put quotas on the amount of fish that can be caught and has a law on the size of fishing nets.
    -It also has a law to prevent foreign boats overfishing irish waters for 12 miles off shore. This helps to protect Irish fishermen.
    -Overall, i think the CFP has been a huge success to Ireland as it helps to protect Irish fishermen but also helps to conserve certain fish species.

There was 20 marks going for this question and i only got 8/20?? :( I left it till the end so i did rush through it.

This seems fairly harsh to be honest. Maybe you should mention importance more and try to keep referring to the q. I am a bit worried about the 8 out of 20 mark as I don't think I would have done much better here so interesting to see what others think

This seems fairly harsh to be honest. Maybe you should mention importance more and try to keep referring to the q. I am a bit worried about the 8 out of 20 mark as I don't think I would have done much better here so interesting to see what others think
    That's one question I was shocked about. I think it came up in last years exam so I learned the points from the marking scheme and I knew more but was stuck for time :(

The question was:
    (30 marks)

This was my answer:

I'm not certain, but my business teacher was really up with the marking schemes, and she told us that the point "goods must conform to sample" and "goods must be as described" were the same point. You can't use them together. Check if both of them points were marked. I thought your first answer was pretty good up to that. Well attacked, with enough info and good examples.

I'm not totally sure whether your points about redress was good enough. I assume the marking was 20 for the first part and 10 for the second. Where did your marks get taken away or did the examiner just give you marks without underlining the parts you got marks for?

I'm still waiting to get my paper back, so it'll be interesting to see what marks I get for this part...

When you evaluate, you always have to make sure you start each evaluation point with "I think it is good because.............."

Like "I think Competition Policy is good because it means that big companies cannot use their size to dominate the market, etc."

If you don't say "I think it is good", as childish and silly as it sounds, you won't get the marks... welcome to the world of Leaving cert business. :)

You stated a lot of general facts about CAP and CFP but you only gave one real evaluation in every part. I can see you were bluffing. In 40 years, Ireland has gotten more than 41 million from CAP, it doesn't help farmers wages, it gives grants and makes a pan-european market for agri. devises agricultural policy, etc.
    You said CAP benefits irish farmers by helping to keep them in the farming industry while also preventing huge wage fluctuations[/Qoute]

That's very general. How do they prevent wage fluctuations? Evaluate why this is good? CAP doesn't prevent wage fluctuations in Ireland anymore anyway, all farmers get these days is the single payment.

I would have said:
    "CAP provides the single payment to farmers to invest in capital infrastructure on their farms, thus increasing agricultural output. I think this is good because farmers can benefit from modern farms that can produce more, meaning increased income for farmers... better quality of life etc."

The same goes for CFP. You need to read the benefits as they are stated in the book.

• Advertisement

rugrats wrote: »
    When you evaluate, you always have to make sure you start each evaluation point with "I think it is good because.............."

Like "I think Competition Policy is good because it means that big companies cannot use their size to dominate the market, etc."

If you don't say "I think it is good", as childish and silly as it sounds, you won't get the marks... welcome to the world of Leaving cert business. :)

I dont think that is true once you express opinion somehow, I believe, I think, This would, in my opinion etc. should be ok surely?

Anyone know where I lost 2 marks on the break even?

I dont think that is true once you express opinion somehow, I believe, I think, This would, in my opinion etc. should be ok surely?

Of course yeah, but it needs to be constantly referred to if you want marks... I've edited my reply above to deal with the question at hand. The "I think" can't just be stuck in for good measure, it needs to be backed up which wasn't really done in this question.

There's no fixed costs line as far as I can see

Did you leave out the fixed costs line?

ah bet me to it!

Ooh ya thanks! :)

How much do ye usually write for a twenty mark question? My teacher always says 1A4 page per 20 marks which I find impossible as I'm slow at writing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

The question was:
    (30 marks)

This was my answer:

I'm pretty sure for that question you have to explain the rights of consumers in relation to products, services, quiet possession and ownership and then one more point? I got 25/30 marks on that question in my mock as we were always told to do the first three, not four.

How much do ye usually write for a twenty mark question? My teacher always says 1A4 page per 20 marks which I find impossible as I'm slow at writing :(

Your teacher is stupid. There's no point writing a page of utter sh!te. That is nonsense. If you don't structure your answer, you're in for a tough ride. You can write less than half a page if you write well.

A twenty marker would be broken down into four 5 marker points. 2 for stating a point, and 3 for explaining. Do that four times with the right explanations and that's 20 marks. A page of shíte is no good. That is an idiotic suggestion from a teacher who doesn't understand the marking scheme. You will not have the time to write a page for a twenty marker question

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Your teacher is stupid. There's no point writing a page of utter sh!te. That is nonsense. If you don't structure your answer, you're in for a tough ride. You can write less than half a page if you write well.

A twenty marker would be broken down into four 5 marker points. 2 for stating a point, and 3 for explaining. Do that four times with the right explanations and that's 20 marks. A page of shíte is no good. That is an idiotic suggestion from a teacher who doesn't understand the marking scheme. You will not have the time to write a page for a twenty marker question

My answers would nearly be an A4 page although my writing is big enough. 1 line for stating and 4 or 5 for explaining, done 4 times with 4 lines for spaces in between. That's 24-28 lines, and an A4 page has about 31 or 32 lines. Less than half an A4 page would not get you full marks no matter how well you structure it, in my opinion.

My answers would nearly be an A4 page although my writing is big enough. 1 line for stating and 4 or 5 for explaining, done 4 times with 4 lines for spaces in between. That's 24-28 lines, and an A4 page has about 31 or 32 lines. Less than half an A4 page would not get you full marks no matter how well you structure it, in my opinion.

But you can't just give a page of unorganised rubbish. It has to be structured well or you will run our of time. You have to do 4 60 marker questions in the exam in less than 2 hours. That's an equivalent of doing 12 pages in 20 marker questions which is pretty impossible given time constraints. You have to be efficient and that'y why many students have problems with not finishing the whole paper. If you don't know what the marking scheme is looking for, you're wasting you time writing excess information.

But you can't just give a page of unorganised rubbish. It has to be structured well or you will run our of time. You have to do 4 60 marker questions in the exam in less than 2 hours. That's an equivalent of doing 12 pages in 20 marker questions which is pretty impossible given time constraints. You have to be efficient and that'y why many students have problems with not finishing the whole paper.

I never said anything about giving a page of unorganised rubbish, obviously it should be organised well. Timing is a nightmare, I agree, but I don't think writing less than 16 lines would be enough for full marks. Unless your writing is tiny.

I don't agree that half a page won't get full marks as in my mock I got 20/20 for one of the questions but I guess all of the info was in it with little to no bs! And the correcter I had didn't give away and marks easy

I don't agree that half a page won't get full marks as in my mock I got 20/20 for one of the questions but I guess all of the info was in it with little to no bs! And the correcter I had didn't give away and marks easy

What was the question, and how much did you write for an explanation?

What was the question, and how much did you write for an explanation?
    The question was to discuss the factors that should be considered by the bank before approving a business loan and my answer was 12 lines

The question was to discuss the factors that should be considered by the bank before approving a business loan and my answer was 12 lines

I structure mine with headings and I skip a line between each point. So if I were to write the exact same as your answer it would have been around 18-20 lines. I had assumed that you did it the same way so what you really wrote was much more than I had expected.

I structure mine with headings and I skip a line between each point. So if I were to write the exact same as your answer it would have been around 18-20 lines. I had assumed that you did it the same way so what you really wrote was much more than I had expected.

Pretty illogical assumption but hopefully he lets it slide and this thread can regain some self-respect!

Pretty illogical assumption but hopefully he lets it slide and this thread can regain some self-respect!

I don't see how it's illogical as that is how all of our class was taught how to do it.

Also, "he" is a she as far as I know.

• Advertisement

I don't see how it's illogical as that is how all of our class was thought how to do it.

Also, "he" is a she as far as I know.
    Ya I'm a she! :)

Advertisement