Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expanding Linux partition on VM Machine

Options
  • 03-03-2013 7:27am

I'm tying to expand a partition on my Linux machine which is running in VmWare Fusion.

I've expanded the allocated size on VmWare from 20gig to 40gig then ran the following commands.

fdisk -l which I can see the new 20gig's of unallocated space

df -h to find the name of the volume group but this is where the problem lies - there is no name with the volume group!

Is there a way I can expand this without knowing the volume group name? It's been going on for awhile and I really need to figure this out now as I pretty much have no space left

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

ni@ll wrote: »
    I'm tying to expand a partition on my Linux machine which is running in VmWare Fusion.

I've expanded the allocated size on VmWare from 20gig to 40gig then ran the following commands.

fdisk -l which I can see the new 20gig's of unallocated space

df -h to find the name of the volume group but this is where the problem lies - there is no name with the volume group!

Is there a way I can expand this without knowing the volume group name? It's been going on for awhile and I really need to figure this out now as I pretty much have no space left

I'd attach an image of the ubuntu live cd to the machine (as a cd naturally) then boot your vm from it. Then use gparted to resize the partition.
    Now I say an ubuntu live cd but you can use any distro but i know ubuntu has gparted and it's very easy to use.

Thanks for the reply.

I should probably have specify this is a backtrack image which is actually based on Ubuntu.

Thats not a bad work-around at all, not sure why I didn't think of it! I'll give it a try later and let you know how I get on

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭madhatter76

Thanks for the help guys but I had no luck with either solution, I got lazy and just copied the files I wanted from the system and re-installed the OS!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

Grab yourself a copy for future re-partitioning.

• Advertisement
Advertisement