Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

one parent family payment and working

Options
  • 03-03-2013 3:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭

Hi all I currently receive one parent family payment but Im looking for a part time job as well as I'm finding it hard to make ends meet. I know the 1st 110 euro of my wages is disregarded but what about if I worked 20 hours a week would much of my OPFP be taken away? I'm just trying to figure out how many hours work I'm better off looking for. If anyone can give me some advice that would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

This is how it works. it all depends on how much money you earn, not how many hours you work. say you get a job 20 hours per week at 9euro per hour. thats 180 euro er week. 110 euro is disregarded, so take the 110 form the 180. that leaves 70euro. they will not deduct 70 euro from your payment they will deduct half of it, 35 euro. so for working and earning 180euro per week , only 35euro will be deducted from your one parent family payment.
    Forgot to mention, if you can get at least 20 hours per week you could possibly qualify for FIS also, depending on how much you earn and how many children you have.
    Dont forget if you are getting rent supplement , your rent supplement maybe affected by your wages. you must tell your CWO if you start working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    This is how it works. it all depends on how much money you earn, not how many hours you work. say you get a job 20 hours per week at 9euro per hour. thats 180 euro er week. 110 euro is disregarded, so take the 110 form the 180. that leaves 70euro. they will not deduct 70 euro from your payment they will deduct half of it, 35 euro. so for working and earning 180euro per week , only 35euro will be deducted from your one parent family payment.
    Forgot to mention, if you can get at least 20 hours per week you could possibly qualify for FIS also, depending on how much you earn and how many children you have.
    Dont forget if you are getting rent supplement , your rent supplement maybe affected by your wages. you must tell your CWO if you start working.

Thanks a million for your reply so they'll take half of what I earn after the 110 off my OP payment? I'm actually on the RAS scheme so will have to look into that to see if its affected.
    Thanks again
    EDIT I just have the one child but I don't receive any other income. I also have to figure in childcare costs to this so I'm thinking maybe 12 hours work a week will be the best thing to do. I see they are reducing the €110 over the next few years....jesus they don't make it half hard for people :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭sophia25

Yes in 1997 they introduced Income disregard of €146.50 pw to encourage lone parents to work and now they are decreasing it to €60 to encourage lone parents to work! Go figure!!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

sophia25 wrote: »
    Yes in 1997 they introduced Income disregard of €146.50 pw to encourage lone parents to work and now they are decreasing it to €60 to encourage lone parents to work! Go figure!!:cool:

Yes and now the OPFP wil be taken away when the child turns 7 :cool:

Advertisement