Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a mac second hand

Options
  • 02-03-2013 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,

Iv'e finally decide to take the plunge and switch from windows to mac :D I've done a lot of searching and think I found one that takes my fancy. Specs are;

Apple MacBook Pro 15.4 inch (Late 2011)
    • 2.3 GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz) 4GB, 500GB Sata Disk (Supports up to 8GB)
    • Intel HD Graphics 3000 & AMD Radeon HD 6750M with automatic graphics switching. 1GB GDDR5 graphics memory
    • Mountain Lion

Questions I have are, will I be able to upgrade this in the future with a SSD and/or more RAM?
    Anything I should be keeping an eye out for buying second hand?

thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Yeah, you can upgrade the RAM up to 16GB RAM despite what the official specs say and putting in an SSD is also possible.

I would keep an eye out for cracks on the black cover of the screen hinge. See if opening and closing the screen feels tight or makes noise. Check for the case wobbling while flat, make sure there is enough travel in the track pad click and look out for any dings or bulges in the case.

I would also check the screen for deal pixels.

Ask the seller if you can check battery cycles with coconut battery, this will tell you how the battery is doing and how long you can expect to get out of it (expensive to replace). It's rated for 1000 cycles but mine is around 1400. you can expect 200-300 with a late 2011 model and that's fine still plenty in it.

Check if is been warped (the screen lines up with the rest of the body evenly)

Check for screen flicker & dead pixels, it was an issue with Imacs and I'm not sure about pros but again it could be an issue.

To be honest I've had mine over 4 years without an issue, also upgraded the HDD and RAM this Xmas and it was rather painless.

Enjoy :D

Advertisement