Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography - looking for an A1

Options
  • 02-03-2013 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭

I want a good chance at an A1 or at least an A2, without learning every nook and cranny on the course.

I already have a great understanding of geog and know alot of stuff already, got a b2 in the mock.

What I really want though, is a list of essay titles to learn that will near cover everything that could come up.

If someone could help me out here, I and i'm sure many others would be very grateful!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

My teacher has said a few times that she wants to do up such a list with us if she gets the time. If that happens, I'll gladly post it up. There are a group of core essays that come up often and should definitely be known, and then there are loads of other ones which come up sporadically and that an A1 student should have a good grasp of. I got an A1 in my mock so if you'd like I could post up every essay that I know so far, though I can't promise it'll be as fully exhaustive as you'd want but they seem to be serving me well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Really the main thing with Geography is it is all about essays.No matter how good you are at Geography,if you cannot put them ideas down onto the page in a good structure format it is very hard to get full marks. Unfortunately the exams are becoming less predictable and they are starting to word questions to throw many of the track.
    I also got an A1 in my mock and this is the list I have complied which covers a lot of areas(although not all!!):

Physical
    • Plate tectonics-How volcanoes and earthquakes occur
    • Effects of volcanoes
    • Earthquakes-Measurements and effects
    • Igneous rocks
    • Sedimentary rocks
    • Metamorphis rocks
    • Rock type and how it produces a distinctive landform
    • Human interaction with rock cycle-Quarrying
    • Waterfall
    • Levee
    • Human interation with rivers-Dams and levees
    • Folding and faulting

Regional
    • Cultural region-Gaeltacht or India
    • Growth/development of Dublin
    • Ireland-Primary,secondary and tertiary acts. in GDA
    • Paris-Primary,secondary and tertiary
    • India-Primary
    • Mezzogiorno-Tertiary
    • Impact of EU expanison(Economic impact and cultural impact)

Human
    • Overpopulation(Causes and effects)
    • Patterns of historical settlement(From OS map)
    • Migration changes in Ireland
    • Hoyt sector model
    • Central place theory
    • Land use changes(Dublin Docklands)
    • Problems in developing world
    • Problems in developed world
    • Impact of population movement on donor and recevicer regions

Geoecology
    • Characteristics of Brown earth soils
    • Factors which affect brown earth characteristics
    • Characteristics of desert biome
    • Plant and animal adaptations to desert biome
    • Influence of climate on characteristics in hot desert
    • Human interaction with hot desert biome

May be a bit long but I feel that should cover most of the possible questions.
    Hope it helps!

On a related note, if anyone has decent sample essays or points for Igneous/Sedimentary/Metamorphic rocks could they maybe post them up? :) My teacher is awesome and gives us ample points and essays for most topics but this is one area where I think the notes I have are a bit lacking.

The above list is fairly similar to what I would have posted, only difference being I study economic geography if people want those essay titles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

On a related note, if anyone has decent sample essays or points for Igneous/Sedimentary/Metamorphic rocks could they maybe post them up? :) My teacher is awesome and gives us ample points and essays for most topics but this is one area where I think the notes I have are a bit lacking.

The above list is fairly similar to what I would have posted, only difference being I study economic geography if people want those essay titles.

Buy exam skills geography. It's like €10 and has nearly every essays you need. Plus I breaks down everything into sections with diagrams if needed with how the essay was marked in the Lc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

The answers I use for igneous and metamorphic come straight out of sue honan's book and my answer on sedimentary rocks is my own :L If you still want them I might be able to post them tomorrow :)

• Advertisement

hfallada wrote: »
    Buy exam skills geography. It's like €10 and has nearly every essays you need. Plus I breaks down everything into sections with diagrams if needed with how the essay was marked in the Lc.

Thanks, might look into that. :)
    David1994 wrote: »
    The answers I use for igneous and metamorphic come straight out of sue honan's book and my answer on sedimentary rocks is my own :L If you still want them I might be able to post them tomorrow :)

If you get a chance that would be awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

I got full marks on my igneous rock essay if you'd like me to post it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Lc201395

My teacher has said a few times that she wants to do up such a list with us if she gets the time. If that happens, I'll gladly post it up. There are a group of core essays that come up often and should definitely be known, and then there are loads of other ones which come up sporadically and that an A1 student should have a good grasp of. I got an A1 in my mock so if you'd like I could post up every essay that I know so far, though I can't promise it'll be as fully exhaustive as you'd want but they seem to be serving me well.

Please do post up the essays you know, and feel free to upload some samples :p:D

Another question: For regional geography - is it necessary to know physical, human charecteristics, primary secondary and tertiary for all 5 different regions? Or is there a way to only select a certain few, instead of learning off 25 essays, all help appreciated!

peekachoo wrote: »
    I got full marks on my igneous rock essay if you'd like me to post it :)

please, i only got 16 in mine :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Lc201395 wrote: »
    please, i only got 16 in mine :(

"Examine the formation of igneous rocks in Ireland".

An igneous rock is formed by the cooling and hardening of magma.The two most common types of igneous rock found in Ireland are basalt and granite.

Basalt is formed when molten rock from the mantle flows onto the earth's surface, rapidly cools and solidifies into basalt rock. Basalt is a dark brown or black in colour. When the magma reaches the earth's surface is is known as lava, this cools rapidly and crystals of quartz, mica and feldspar in the lava do not have enough time to grow, remain almost microscopic and are not visible to the human eye. Basalt is most commonly formed during volcanic eruptions, when volcanoes release massive amounts of magma which flows out of the vent and travels downhill. It may cool quickly as it moves to form basalt rock.
    Over time, lava from many fissure eruptions build up on either side of the fissure into a high basalt plateau. The basalt can form distinctive landscapes because of the way it cools during formation. During the cooling of a thick lava flow distinctive polygonal columns can form, eg. The Giant's Causeway, Co. Antrim. The columns can range between 3-12 sided but the majority in the Giant's Causeway have 6 sides. This distinctive landform was formed 90-60 million years ago when plate movement led to large fissure eruptions in the area.

Granite can also be found in Ireland. Granite is an igneous rock made from magma, formed over millions of years and is part of the earth’s continental crust. Whereas basalt is an extrusive landform formed by the cooling of lava on the surface, granite is an intrusive rock which means it is formed below the crust. Instead, the magma cools below crust and only becomes exposed when soil cover has been eroded. The exact minerals that go into forming granite vary from region to region but they commonly include quartz and feldspar. Quartz is in itself a naturally occurring rock, but quartz worktops are generally made of specially-engineered stone made up of a mix of crushed rock and coloured pigments.Granites can be pink to dark grey or black, depending on their chemistry and mineralogy, whereas engineered quartz comes in a much wider range of colours. Granite is a plutonic rock and can be found widely int the Dublin/Wicklow Mountains. Geologists estimate that the formation of Dublin/Wicklow granite dates back almost 420 million years. This granite is characterised by its light grey to white colour combined with its attractive flecks of silver mica. The distinctive stone has been used in construction in Ireland for centuries and is featured in many famous Irish landmarks including the GPO and this granite provides a rare individuality in Irish landscape.

The formation of igneous rocks has been crucial to Ireland as it provides varying characteristics in landscape that are individual to said areas.

I know it was pretty long but my theory is, the longer it is, more SRPs can fit in! I guess it works because I got the full 30 :)
    I think I have a few sedimentary/metamorphic essays lying around, if I find them I'll post them!

David1994 wrote: »
    Really the main thing with Geography is it is all about essays.No matter how good you are at Geography,if you cannot put them ideas down onto the page in a good structure format it is very hard to get full marks. Unfortunately the exams are becoming less predictable and they are starting to word questions to throw many of the track.
    I also got an A1 in my mock and this is the list I have complied which covers a lot of areas(although not all!!):

Physical
    • Plate tectonics-How volcanoes and earthquakes occur
    • Effects of volcanoes
    • Earthquakes-Measurements and effects
    • Igneous rocks
    • Sedimentary rocks
    • Metamorphis rocks
    • Rock type and how it produces a distinctive landform
    • Human interaction with rock cycle-Quarrying
    • Waterfall
    • Levee
    • Human interation with rivers-Dams and levees
    • Folding and faulting

Regional
    • Cultural region-Gaeltacht or India
    • Growth/development of Dublin
    • Ireland-Primary,secondary and tertiary acts. in GDA
    • Paris-Primary,secondary and tertiary
    • India-Primary
    • Mezzogiorno-Tertiary
    • Impact of EU expanison(Economic impact and cultural impact)

Human
    • Overpopulation(Causes and effects)
    • Patterns of historical settlement(From OS map)
    • Migration changes in Ireland
    • Hoyt sector model
    • Central place theory
    • Land use changes(Dublin Docklands)
    • Problems in developing world
    • Problems in developed world
    • Impact of population movement on donor and recevicer regions

Geoecology
    • Characteristics of Brown earth soils
    • Factors which affect brown earth characteristics
    • Characteristics of desert biome
    • Plant and animal adaptations to desert biome
    • Influence of climate on characteristics in hot desert
    • Human interaction with hot desert biome

May be a bit long but I feel that should cover most of the possible questions.
    Hope it helps!

Might I ask why you cover some soil geoecology questions? Why not save yourself some hassle and just do some biome ones?

Another question: For regional geography - is it necessary to know physical, human charecteristics, primary secondary and tertiary for all 5 different regions? Or is there a way to only select a certain few, instead of learning off 25 essays, all help appreciated!

Would appreciate if someone could help me with this also

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Nicole.

Might I ask why you cover some soil geoecology questions? Why not save yourself some hassle and just do some biome ones?

I'm not the OP but in my class we did all of the possible biome essays in class and then we were given sample answers to any possible questions on soil to go through my ourselves if we wanted o.

I think the main thing about geography now is that you have to understand the material, learn the information as facts instead of an essay. In my exam not many of the actual questions that I had learnt came up word for word. In one of two of my exam questions I had to mash information from a few different essays together because the exam isn't so predicable anymore. Btw, I got an A2 in Higher level geography in 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 rickjames16

Has anyone a sample geo ecology essay on brown earths

Advertisement