Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pup with an older dog. Potential problem?

Options
  • 02-03-2013 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

You might have seen from my other posts I have an older male dog (age 10) who has a small heart condition (leaking valve).

I have 2 other female dogs (age 3 and nearly 5). All my dogs are cockers. All neutered/spayed.

The eldest fella has slowed down alot in the last 12 months. He can only manage 30 minute walks. I treat him differently because of his age/health. I take him on trips on his own and we do alot more things together - like when he was younger. I suppose that is what he likes best as he is a very independent dog - aloof at times. He prefers company/attention from me rather than the other dogs.

I am wondering if I introduced a new pup would that have an impact on him in a negative way? Could it affect his health or could it make him feel left out?

Previously when a new pup arrived in the house he would be a bit miffed for a few days. There has never been any fights or problems. He is the kind of dog that only looks for my company. He doesn't really play with the other dogs. Yet I reckon he likes the extra company around the house.

Online, some people say it is OK to introduce a young pup with an older dog. And that the older dog gets an extra 'lift' from the experience.

So could introducing a pup at this stage be a positive decision?

What do you think? (The new pup would be a male.)

Has anyone got any examples where it worked or maybe did not work?

Advertisement