Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airport taxi costs

Options
  • 02-03-2013 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

hi,
    can anyone recommend a taxi firm for 5 (2 adults & 3 kids) that can give a fixed price to the airport. just rang 8202020 and they said they only do by the meter, but i'd prefer a fixed price. i'm in dublin 7...ta very much!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

Jocelynel wrote: »
    hi,
    can anyone recommend a taxi firm for 5 (2 adults & 3 kids) that can give a fixed price to the airport. just rang 8202020 and they said they only do by the meter, but i'd prefer a fixed price. i'm in dublin 7...ta very much!

Well then use a hackney .
    Taxis must use their meters .Why do you want a fixed fare anyway ,D7 to airport 5 people approx will cost less than 30 euro ,I'm sure your flight cost you more .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,342 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

oisindoyle wrote: »
    Taxis must use their meters .

As I understand it taxis must use the meter but its perfectly OK to charge a lesser or fixed fare, the meter is the max?
    Why do you want a fixed fare anyway ,D7 to airport 5 people approx will cost less than 30 euro ,I'm sure your flight cost you more .

This attitude annoys me, why shouldn't the customer look to minimise the price he pays for this or indeed any purchase?
    And the price of the activity he engages in after the taxi, in this case an airplane flight, has absolutely nothing to do with the price of the taxi. Whether his party of 5 are getting €10 Ryanair returns to Luton or travelling first class to Barbados is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭alkev

Try 8303030 they do bayside to the airport for 17 euros, just ask for a quote when you call

As I understand it taxis must use the meter but its perfectly OK to charge a lesser or fixed fare, the meter is the max?.

A waiver form must be signed by both parties .Why should a driver be expected to give a lesser fare?

This attitude annoys me, why shouldn't the customer look to minimise the price he pays for this or indeed any purchase?
    And the price of the activity he engages in after the taxi, in this case an airplane flight, has absolutely nothing to do with the price of the taxi. Whether his party of 5 are getting €10 Ryanair returns to Luton or travelling first class to Barbados is irrelevant.

And this attitude annoys me .Why should people expect and think that a taxi driver should "do a deal" or give a "discount".The same passenger will go into a store a see a pair of jeans for 70euro and WILL pay 70euro .The same with an air ticket if its X price the person pays X price.Go into a bar and the pint if 5.50 YOU PAY 5.50
    Why should taxi drivers be expected to give discounts ,it's wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Taxis must use their meters .Why do you want a fixed fare anyway ,D7 to airport 5 people approx will cost less than 30 euro ,I'm sure your flight cost you more .

Well maybe the OP meant a hackney, but did not know the correct term for a taxi that used set fares rather than using a metre.

Personally, I would rather use a Hackney, so I know the fare in advance, rather than see the metre creeping up sitting in traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,342 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

A waiver form must be signed by both parties .Why should a driver be expected to give a lesser fare?

Theres no expectation on the OPs part that a driver will give such a discount. Clearly some drivers/firms do give such a discount (my local one in D15 gets all my airport runs because of this). And the OP was asking for such a firm in D7. I fail to see the problem.

And this attitude annoys me .Why should people expect and think that a taxi driver should "do a deal" or give a "discount".The same passenger will go into a store a see a pair of jeans for 70euro and WILL pay 70euro .The same with an air ticket if its X price the person pays X price.Go into a bar and the pint if 5.50 YOU PAY 5.50
    Why should taxi drivers be expected to give discounts ,it's wrong.

Some shops may charge €65 for the same jeans. The OP was asking for a firm in D7 who charges a lesser denim rate for the airport trip. Again I don't see the problem. He wasn't marching up to the shop/taxi and demanding a lesser price.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Jocelynel

thanks very much for all the replies, I was quoted €45 euros each way which I though was a bit expensive. probably better to use the long term car park rather than pay €90!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

thanks very much for all the replies, I was quoted €45 euros each way which I though was a bit expensive. probably better to use the long term car park rather than pay €90!

I'd say they probably mean there and back, not per leg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

What airport was that to?:eek:

The fair estimator should give you a rough idea of what the metred would be, it's not accurate but gives you a ballpark figure.

http://transportforireland.ie/taxi/fare-estimator/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I know Dublin 7 is a big enough area but there's no where in D7 I can think of that would be €45 to the airport, can you narrow your location down a bit

• Advertisement

I'd say they probably mean there and back, not per leg.

thanks! definitely each way, i doubled checked!! hence the reason for posting my original OP. they said it was because they would have to give me their 7/8 seater.

last year fixicab quoted me 23euros each way, which is great, but that's for 1-4 passengers.

thanks! definitely each way, i doubled checked!! hence the reason for posting my original OP. they said it was because they would have to give me their 7/8 seater.

last year fixicab quoted me 23euros each way, which is great, but that's for 1-4 passengers.

On the meter (as it is suppose to be ) I reckon it would be in or around 30-33euro ,,,,again what part od D7?

On the meter (as it is suppose to be ) I reckon it would be in or around 30-33euro ,,,,again what part od D7?

thanks oisindoyle, yep, i think it should be in the region of 30e, plus wee tip bringing it up to max 35e. i'm in cabra...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

If it is a taxi whether 4 seater 8 seater or wheelchair accessible and there are extra passengers in the vehicle they can legally only charge €1 for each extra passenger and no charge for luggage. looks like you were going to be ripped off by those chancers!

In your case they can charge for one extra adult(no charge for you) and then two of the kids count as one adult so two extra passengers as the odd child goes free.
    http://transportforireland.ie/fare_estimator/TaxiFare.htm#
    Extra Passengers
    An additional charge of €1.00 may be charged by taxi drivers for each additional passenger. Two children under twelve will be charged as one adult. (If only one additional passenger under twelve is travelling, there is no extra charge.)

foggy_lad wrote: »
    If it is a taxi whether 4 seater 8 seater or wheelchair accessible and there are extra passengers in the vehicle they can legally only charge €1 for each extra passenger and no charge for luggage. looks like you were going to be ripped off by those chancers!

In your case they can charge for one extra adult(no charge for you) and then two of the kids count as one adult so two extra passengers as the odd child goes free.
    http://transportforireland.ie/fare_estimator/TaxiFare.htm#

And so ? Whats your point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

And so ? Whats your point.
    Telling a customer they are being charged more for their journey because an 8 seater vehicle is being used is illegal.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Telling a customer they are being charged more for their journey because an 8 seater vehicle is being used is illegal.

Is it yea ?
    The OP asked for a FIXED price,that's what he was quoted .He could have been quoted anything if he wanted a fixed price,,,,geddit ?(probably not)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Best to use the airport car park. With taxi drivers with attitudes like the ones on here would you want your children listening to them,plus you will know how much it will cost.

Best to use the airport car park. With taxi drivers with attitudes like the ones on here would you want your children listening to them,plus you will know how much it will cost.

What "attitude" is that then?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Yep,that one

• Advertisement

Yep,that one

?

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

Recently my sister who has lived abroad for over 30 years had to take a taxi to airport with her daughter and daughters children. She'd got an estimate in advance when she booked but when they arrived the cost was 10E more than the estimate (they all have north american accents). With her daughter exhausted and 2 screaming kids and the clock ticking she just had to pay & run. But she'll be sticking to aircoach in the future. Personally I take aircoach or drive and park rather than endure the torture of the taxi service.

I feel sorry for some of the drivers - but the practices of many have killed the goose that used to lay the golden eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Recently my sister who has lived abroad for over 30 years had to take a taxi to airport with her daughter and daughters children. She'd got an estimate in advance when she booked but when they arrived the cost was 10E more than the estimate (they all have north american accents).

Base staff rarely have a good idea of how much fares will be. Throw in extra passengers and it can skew it even more. Scant consolation I know but it's often happening and the passenger is the one who feels scalped :(
    Jocelynel wrote:

That would sound right if they sent a mini bus, not a taxi. VIP, who I used to drive for, advertise €21 fixed fares from the Cork Street area; try them for a price if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,336 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Stop the squabbling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

8202020 give a 20% discount - a taxi can always discount - the fare is the max price they are allowed to charge.

However they are consistently losing drivers, and when I booked a wheelchair seater recently for a function on a Friday, I booked on Monday. Yet they let me down, and said they only had one such car and he didn't feel like working. Never used tem again. It was to bring the family to my mother's retirement do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

Thought of this when i read yer post!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOXaBV8mD-I

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

amtc wrote: »
    8202020 give a 20% discount - a taxi can always discount - the fare is the max price they are allowed to charge.

However they are consistently losing drivers, and when I booked a wheelchair seater recently for a function on a Friday, I booked on Monday. Yet they let me down, and said they only had one such car and he didn't feel like working. Never used tem again. It was to bring the family to my mother's retirement do.

AFAIK82020 don't dicount for vans, the reason being you are already effectively getting around 50% off by only needing one taxi instead of two

Advertisement