Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Leahy has potential to be Tubbs

Options
  • 02-03-2013 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Listening to Will Leahy one of the few intelligent presenters on 2FM - has he ever been looked at as a potential TV talk show host? Will does a great radio programme - quick, witty, great music choice and genuine, and like Gerry Ryan is a solicitor. Only complaint - does he have to go on about the 'soaps' so much?

Its young guys like Will RTE should be looking at to do The Late Late or a fast moving talkshow.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Will works totally on his schedule.he might not have the interest.his legal practice is still running and apperantly (I've been told by two different jocks) he just shows up 30 mins before work and has a team of people preping his show for him.RTE might not want that for tv tho

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Will works totally on his schedule.he might not have the interest.his legal practice is still running and apperantly (I've been told by two different jocks) he just shows up 30 mins before work and has a team of people preping his show for him.RTE might not want that for tv tho

The man himself says he arrives to the studio about 20 minutes before air time, but apparently he's constantly in contact with his producer during the day planning out the show (at least that's what he told us during a talk he gave recently, so make of that what you will).

I doubt he'd do something like the Late Late yet. Not unless his legal practice were to go under. He told us that one of the main reasons he's stayed at 2FM is because they let him do the show from Limerick.

I agree though. Will is one of, if not the, best presenters on the station at the moment. Best drive-time show in the country IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

"Will Leahy has potential to be Tubbs"

I totally disagree.

Will Leahy is a talented, intelligent and charismatic broadcaster who can hold a conversation without bringing up death or misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭eiresandra

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Will is one of, if not the, best presenters on the station at the moment. Best drive-time show in the country IMO.

I quite like Will on air, but his figures aren't great. I'm not sure if it's just the general malaise at 2FM, but a more music national drivetime show should be performing better considering all of the national alternatives (and some locals) are talking at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,690 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Should the thread title be "tubbs has potential to be will Leahy ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭micky mouse

telekon wrote: »
    "Will Leahy has potential to be Tubbs"

I totally disagree.

Will Leahy is a talented, intelligent and charismatic broadcaster who can hold a conversation without bringing up death or misery.
    :DPlus one

• Registered Users Posts: 39 PODboy

Will Leahy has been badly managed by RTE, and possibly by himself - while they have given TV profile to most of the voices on daytime 2fm -I would not know Will if I saw him on the street. He has no chance of getting big figures if he is not given the proper profile. Surely he should at least be given an opportunity to do the mid morning slot on 2fm or the John Murray Show on radio one - he would be as intelligent as G Ryan - and in my opinion would be well able to complement this with his 'cheesey' bits.

As a student of Media I feel that Leahy's big failure is that he hasn't pushed himself and shown ambition to be one of the big names. Do those in control at RTE reject him because he lives in Limerick and works as a solicitor there. I am sure being a solicitor is not what it was like during the tiger years, and there is no way he would turn down a serious chance to lift his profile and get his full potential in the media.

In a tutorial session we recently discussed the appalling decision to put Kenny on the Late Late when Ryan's father passed away.
    We had a poll who should have been given the chance to step in - and Will Leahy's name was mentioned by three of us - one by the way would have offered it to Gavin Jenning and another Claire Byrne. Interesting Sean Moncrieff was also mentioned.

RTE needs to manage its talent - and not keep gving the same gigs to the usual suspects - its time to let the New Smart generation have their say and the likes of Will Leahy need to be better managed and given more opportunites.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,952 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I feel old, I can remember, not only the Saturday show, but when he did the Sunday night general music show with 'Pat the security guard'

The sat show was outstanding!
    Dj Gary's 21st birthday shout outs were epic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭fifi234ie

I can't believe he's a solicitor, he's so laid back.
    I would love if he moved to Today fm, and let Matt Cooper go to Newstalk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Radio5

Will Leahy's is the only show I would even consider listening to on 2FM. I suspect for location reasons he may not have pushed himself to do other shows or TV, the drivetime slot and the fact that he can broadcast from Limerick seem to suit him. The Leahys have been in the legal business in Limerick for many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I like Will, he's one of the very shining lights in an otherwise tired and dreadful lineup in 2FM these days. Of the current line up, only he and Jenny Greene jump out as presenters who I can tolerate! I actually remember him doing a decent late night show on Galway Bay FM, oh god, it must have been back in the early to mid '90's and he really stood out back then.

Will has had a few stints on the TV though. Maybe he didn't really cut it? I remember him presenting a couple of episodes of "The Panel" and I vaguely remember him doing some kids stuff with Dustin the bloody turkey...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,988 ✭✭✭cena

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I like Will, he's one of the very shining lights in an otherwise tired and dreadful lineup in 2FM these days. Of the current line up, only he and Jenny Greene jump out as presenters who I can tolerate! I actually remember him doing a decent late night show on Galway Bay FM, oh god, it must have been back in the early to mid '90's and he really stood out back then.

Will has had a few stints on the TV though. Maybe he didn't really cut it? I remember him presenting a couple of episodes of "The Panel" and I vaguely remember him doing some kids stuff with Dustin the bloody turkey...

I would put ricks show a good listen. But wills a great show. saturday show great back than and the 21st party thing he used to do

cena wrote: »

I would put ricks show a good listen. But wills a great show. saturday show great back than and the 21st party thing he used to do
    The 21st used be DJ Gary!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Ken Ridge

Will is a one trick pony, thats why his listenership is so low. Still talking about the shift in salthill in 1993, too much of a bogger vibe of the show too just like the breakfast show. It is insane that 2fm have a bogger breakfast and drivetime show

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

That shout and fade out at the start of the show everyday is enough to switch me off.

eg. GOOD EVEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeennnnning (cue music)....

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

I rememeber a few years ago around the time of the Pituirity gland scandal in Ireland he made a joke about it on air..

Moron.

He wasnt long coming back on with his tail between his legs apologising for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Is this the best of Irish Broadcasting?

Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭siblers

His show is quite possibly one of the worst shows on radio. Awful DJ.

Advertisement