Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fuel allowance with jobbridge

Options
  • 02-03-2013 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭

A relative of mine has recently completed a nine month jobbridge placement and is now on JSA.

she asked the local SW Office about claiming fuel allowance but has been told that she has not been unemployed long enough to qualify. She was on JSB for a year prior to the nine months on Jobbridge but SW told her time on Jobbridge can't be counted towards the days required to be eligible for fuel allowance.

It's confusing as she said the citizens advice website says time on jobbridge does count towards eligibility.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Sue Ellen

Time on Jobbridge does not count towards eligibilty. When on Jobbridge the claim days stop counting. Until they reach 390 days in total they won't qualify for fuel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Yep. More than a few people have been stung like that. You have to be unemployed for 15 months before you can apply. Jobbridge counts as employment! :eek:

However. If you were already on FA, then you'll keep it whilst on Jobbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Thanks for the responses folks :)

That's a pity, but I suppose typical of this Country to a certain extent too, so not too surprising really.

She didn't benefit at all financially from the 50 Euro extra payment from Jobbridge as she spent sixty Euro a week on fuel for her car getting to and from her jobbridge work place. But if she hadn't tried to improve her chances of getting employment by undertaking Jobbridge she would have been paid 20 Euro towards her home fuel allowance after three months and would therefore have been better off financially.

Really bizarre thinking (or lack of) by Social Welfare :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

same thing happened to me. i argued and wrote to everybody i could because they didn't make that info available at the time any where on the contract or on the website. they said they were going to make that info more visible, guess they haven't yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭lertsnim

That's ridiculous. The state is effectively punishing you for trying to do something with yourself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement