Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HR advice on secondment

Options
  • 02-03-2013 9:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭

Hi everyone.

I'll keep this short sweet to the point which usually means a big essay but here goes.

Okay so I work for a non-profit organisation for the last 9 years, as you know funding is slack and there is no movement up the ladder.

I have recently made a successful takeover of a private company in the same field of work who was struggling. I have a pretty grounded model of turning this company around to make profits.

My question is can I get a year’s secondment from my own job, what are the implications etc. No matter what I feel I am willing to take the risk one way or another.

Any Gurus I thank you in advance.
    :D:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

I assume you are asking about a career break/sabatical/leave of abscence? Unless it is provided for in your contract of employment, you have no right to any such arrangement. If things are not going well financially in your current organisation, they may well be happy to facilitate or they may offer you severance! You have to ask them to find out.

cheers

Peter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭topdog8

No sorry I am asking for non of the above because if the conditions attached to these do not allow you to work for any other organisations or business.
    However a secondment does allow for this for a period of I think 3-24 months. I know this is a common practice within government positions but not to sure about mine. :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

A secondment is normally an arrangement between two bodies/entities whereby staff of one organisation are placed to work for a period in the other for a variety of reasons including training/development or to fill a skills gap. It would be usual for both organisations to cooperate in other areas or have similar areas of interest which would have typically developed to such a point over a significant period.
    I would have thought it unlikely to be individual employee initiated.
    Cheers

Peter

Advertisement