Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lena's Study Log.

Options
  • 02-03-2013 4:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Earlier in the (school) year I was aiming for Politics, Economics and Law in DCU which is around 390 points. Since then I've been invited abroad for a year, that I can't wait for! So I'm just looking to do as well as I can and keep my options open when it comes to deciding where I want to be next year :)

My Subjects:
    English - H
    Irish - O
    Math - O
    History - H
    Accounting - H
    Geography - H

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Lena137

Saturday Goals:
    * Algebra chapter
    * Final Account - Sole Trader in book
    * Lenin
    * Sraith Pictiur 1
    * History RSR Title, Outline Plan, Get third source
    * Print English Poems
    * Buy stationary/book/exam paper
    * The Tectonic Cycle

Didn't use this like I had hoped to.
    Starting again. Finished my geography project Tuesday. Even though I'm not in school everyday, teacher said I was the first to have it done. Irish oral finished. It was a complete disaster. Who knew having anxiety/panic attacks aren't helpful when it comes to the sitting of the oral...Could not think or string sentences together even though I know them if was writing it or just outside that setting. Thankfully there is 60% that doesn't involve that again. I still wish the oral hadn't been raised to 40%.

This evening I need to get done:
    Fix up my final draft of my history project:
    * Title
    * Outline Plan
    * Evaluation of Sources
    * Review of Research Process
    * Write in Title, Outline plan & evaluation of sources in booklet.

The only thing getting me through the stress of this week is that once I finish all these projects/orals the NFL draft is tomorrow night! :)

NFL draft actually started lasted night. I don't know why but I didn't cop that 12am is Thursday night not Friday... Thankfully saw on twitter that it was last night.
    Watched the draft and finished my history project!
    I wrote it up this morning and now it's officially done! :)

not sure what I'm doing this evening yet because I am so tired. I might get around to filling out the cao and just organizing everything.

I got a college course in my favourite place in the world but course wasn't for me. I have always wanted to be a writer. My first choice last year was Creative Writing in the same college but didn't get the points. Couldn't transfer internally so I withdrew from college earlier this week and am starting school(in different school) Monday... Hate having to go home to do this. But I know it's what I need to do in the long run. I'm gonna miss everyone :/ it's giving me the motivation for this year though. I have only one option: get the Creative Writing course. There is no buts or ifs. I am getting it! And I'll be back in September with my friends :)

Not 100% decided on subjects yet but this is what they might be now and goals:
    - English - H - C1
    - History - H -B3
    - Geography - H - B3
    - Accounting - H - B3
    - Business - H -C2
    - Irish - ? - A1/C3
    - LCVP - Distinction
    - Math - O - B3

I don't need Irish or Math but the principal really wants me to do Math because of my results in the J.C. and last year. Not sure it's worth it. I never had the chance to do HL Irish because the class was too big in my school. In OL I got an A in J.C. and a C3 last year without studying it/going to school. Not sure whether to try and get A in pass or a C in HL?

Reviving this study log. I might actually use it this time.
    Here's to winning at this repeating craic. STILL undecided on what I want. ( Think I've ruled out midwifery, working with kids at the moment; I don't think I could do primary teaching and have kids in the future.) So I think it's down to my dream course with little direct job prospects - Creative Writing with Arts (English, History & Italian) or have a career in 3+ years with Accounting & Finance.
    I'm aiming for around the 500 points mark, so a lot of obair will have to be done in the next 11 months.
    The subjects I think I've decided on are;
    English, Irish(?), Accounting, History, Geography, Business, Italian & Home Economics

Over the last few days I decided! a history research topic!! My great-grandfather was involved(survived - my grandad was born 2 years later!) in a fishing tragedy that effected along the west coast. A hurricane/storm killed about 50 fishermen in the 1920's.. So I think it counts as local.
    Ordered a book from the library and have started to go through it. Waiting now on RTE Archive now to get back to me about getting a copy of the documentary they did on it a few years ago!
    Undecided on the third source, can I interview my grand-uncle about what he remembers or just use an internet source...
    Hoping to have it finished sooner rather than later :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Lena137 wrote: »
    Over the last few days I decided! a history research topic!! My great-grandfather was involved(survived - my grandad was born 2 years later!) in a fishing tragedy that effected along the west coast. A hurricane/storm killed about 50 fishermen in the 1920's.. So I think it counts as local.
    Ordered a book from the library and have started to go through it. Waiting now on RTE Archive now to get back to me about getting a copy of the documentary they did on it a few years ago!
    Undecided on the third source, can I interview my grand-uncle about what he remembers or just use an internet source...
    Hoping to have it finished sooner rather than later :)
    The 28 Oct. 1927 storm? Excellent idea.

You probably have the details, but the RTE documentary was Disasters - Lacken Drownings (broadcast Tuesday 7th April 2009) ... unless they did more than one about it ofc. TG4 did a documentary too on The Cleggan Disaster / An Bádhadh Mór which was the same storm, just focussing on a different local area.

Marie Feeney, herself the grand-daughter of one of the survivors, wrote a book "The Cleggan Bay Disaster" ... that's probably the one you have?

Why not check if the Local Studies section in your county library has archives for the local paper for the time? ... or other material on it? Could easily be doing that over the summer.

If your great-uncle remembers the storm, or remembers his parents account, might be nice to include a quote certainly ... but maybe stick to written sources to evaluate, it's easier.

Advertisement