Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shmups advice please...

Options
  • 01-03-2013 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭

Ok advice needed.

I bought gunbird for PS2 and I love it.

2 problems.

I now feel I need an arcade stick to play it properly and secondly I feel like I could addicted to this fairly quickly.

So is there a cheapish arcade stick I could buy. From my googling they all look rather pricey.

Plus is there any you can get that can adapt to be used say on a PS2 and an xbox 360??

Games I've looked at are:

Rez (I know more of a rail shooter, I always meant to buy this though, never did for some reason)
    Einhander (like the look of this one)
    Raiden Project (seems to get good reviews etc)
    Rtype Final (mixed reaction online from what I can see)
    Steel Dragon (I didnt see much feedback on this one but it looks good)

Then theres the other downloads on 360.

Personally I rather physical copies of games so is there any obvious ones I'm missing that arent mega expensive or require me to buy a sega saturn or an NTSC Playstation..

Oh on that can you mod a PS2 to play NTSC games???
    I love the look of Vanark I think its called very like Lylat Wars/Starfox 64.
    It only got an NTSC release as far as I can tell. boooooo

Thanks as always.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

When it comes to sticks, you really get what you pay for.

A lovely one to use with the PS2 is the PS1 Namco stick. The grey one with the yellow ball tops and buttons.

They're desirable, so can be expensive. But it's the one expensive purchase you really want to make if you want to do as well as you can in these games :)

/Edit - good cheap way of getting into shmups on a console is to buy a DC. You can burn off games out of the box.

And do get a Saturn when you can! It's a must for the genre.

Megadrive is also another cheap option. There's a mountain of Shmups for it and they're mostly cheap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Don't buy R-Type Final. It's got the worst framerate problems since Race Drivin on the ZX Spectrum and is quite boring. Play the rest of the series instead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Do not buy Steel Dragon unless it's for peanuts, the classic game of Shienryu but the PS2 title in there is absolute pants!
    R-Type Delta is incredible.
    Gradius V amazeballs as well.
    Homura and Ibara are great, the former affordable, the latter less so.
    Raiden DX is one of the few games that poops on Raiden Project, as it is more, so much more than Raiden and Raiden II.
    The classic Namco Arcade Stick is the one to own,

Namco_Arcade_Stick_(1996).JPG

And there are adaptors out there, Ps2-to-Xbox-360-controller-adapter-cable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Gunbird is good fun. Dug it out and jammed through it for an episode of Insert Coin a few months back. There are some very strange things happening in that game, depending on the combination of characters that you pick.

Also, must get around to picking up a fightstick for PS2 myself too. I've got a shed load of games here that I'd imagine it would be compatible with.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Retropolis

deathrider wrote: »
    Gunbird is good fun. Dug it out and jammed through it for an episode of Insert Coin a few months back. There are some very strange things happening in that game, depending on the combination of characters that you pick.

Also, must get around to picking up a fightstick for PS2 myself too. I've got a shed load of games here that I'd imagine it would be compatible with.

Regarding shmups, the good thing about being in Europe is a lot of the good shmups on ps2 were bought here by budget publishers and are dirt cheap compared to the Japanese/American versions, psvariar 2 is one amazing shmup, and if you wanted to go down the ps1 my fav in the genre would be in the hunt made by Irem with alot of the team that would later make metal slug working on it.

Ps if you see a game called mobile light force, it's basically gunbird with a worse title/artwork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

R Type Delta is the job

Retropolis wrote: »
    Regarding shmups, the good thing about being in Europe is a lot of the good shmups on ps2 were bought here by budget publishers and are dirt cheap compared to the Japanese/American versions, psvariar 2 is one amazing shmup, and if you wanted to go down the ps1 my fav in the genre would be in the hunt made by Irem with alot of the team that would later make metal slug working on it.

Ps if you see a game called mobile light force, it's basically gunbird with a worse title/artwork

That cover is mental. Looks closer to Charlie's Angels than Gunbird.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

deathrider wrote: »

That cover is mental. Looks closer to Charlie's Angels than Gunbird.

Check out Mobile Light Force 2 on the ps2 - it uses the exact same ****ty cover believe it or not. And then check what brilliant shmup lies beneath. Makes me sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

o1s1n wrote: »

Check out Mobile Light Force 2 on the ps2 - it uses the exact same ****ty cover believe it or not. And then check what brilliant shmup lies beneath. Makes me sad.

I love that artwork/cover. It's so bad it's good.

Found Raystorm on the Taito legends 2 collection last night which I'm very happy as I was considering paying out for it on eBay. Saves me a few pound. Great game imo.

o1s1n wrote: »

I noticed that while doing a spot of googling there. I took it for granted someone had just photoshopped it with a PS2 heading.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

If you can come along to the Beers in my place this month you can have a look at my PS/PS2 Shmup collection, I've a good lineup and the only expensive one was Ibara, and even then I got it for €70 rather than the usual €130+

Advertisement