Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hit & run driver kills cyclist out training but walks free from court with suspended

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

it did
    49 times actually:

"The court was told that Gridzuiska was a convicted criminal with 49 previous convictions. Of these, nine were for road traffic incidents but others were for drugs offences, theft and handling stolen property."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Good god, how did he walk free from court. Thats not justice, it teaches people that they are, especially if they are intoxicated at the time, better off leaving the scene of an accident. His poor family.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

"Judge McCartan described the death of Mr O'Farrell on a summer's night over two years ago as a tragic accident which occurred because the deceased had not properly lit himself or his bike - See more at: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/hitandrun-driver-avoids-jail-term-over-death-of-cyclist-29102222.html#sthash.7uPg8mKX.dpuf

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    Good god, how did he walk free from court. Thats not justice, it teaches people that they are, especially if they are intoxicated at the time, better off leaving the scene of an accident. His poor family.

Actually, that's precisely what he was convicted of. Had he not left the scene he wouldn't have been convicted of anything other than driving a defective vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

07Lapierre wrote: »
    "Judge McCartan described the death of Mr O'Farrell on a summer's night over two years ago as a tragic accident which occurred because the deceased had not properly lit himself or his bike - See more at: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/hitandrun-driver-avoids-jail-term-over-death-of-cyclist-29102222.html#sthash.7uPg8mKX.dpuf

Judges in this country disgrace themselves more and more each day, no real surprise here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Actually have a sick feeling in my stomach after reading that! So in the morning if I mow down a cyclist who only has 1 light on his bike I can expect to walk free as the judge deems the cyclist was not "Illuminated properly". How about a mother out walking her child in a pram.

Surely the judge is setting a crazy precedence here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Puts this in a very different light now, doesn't it? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056891689

• Registered Users Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭buffalo

Andy-Pandy wrote: »

I believe they are in the process of increasing the punishment for leaving the scene of a road accident, as opposed to leaving the scene of a crime, to help deter this behaviour.

Ref: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2013/0221/1224330312206.html
    The Minister... said he would consult the Attorney General on the issue of making leaving the scene of a road traffic incident a more serious offence with a trial jury at Circuit Court level and the potential for a longer prison sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

I read that article expecting to find some reason - or even something that might lead to the possiblity of establshing a reason - for the judge's decision - but there's nothing

seriously - nothing - the driver knocks down a cyclist - doesn't even stop - the cyclist dies from injuries suffered and then our asshole of a driver (who it seems is regularly in trouble with the law) gets asked to leave the country

that's it - to leave the f*cking country

so his punishment is that he can't enter ireland for ten years....seriously!!!

for f*cks sake - i'm sorry but is that judge must be a moron

have to say, if i was a member of the cyclists family I'd be so distraught by that decision - I really feel sorry for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

What time of the day was he hit at? At the beginning of August, I'd expect there to be a good stretch in the evening.

Also, this:
    it was unbelievable he had come to the attention of gardai again for a motoring matter just weeks after fatally hitting Mr O’Farrell.
    And he still gets off? What the hell is going on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Granolite

alfa beta wrote: »
    I read that article expecting to find some reason - or even something that might lead to the possiblity of establshing a reason - for the judge's decision - but there's nothing

seriously - nothing - the driver knocks down a cyclist - doesn't even stop - the cyclist dies from injuries suffered and then our asshole of a driver (who it seems is regularly in trouble with the law) gets asked to leave the country

that's it - to leave the f*cking country

so his punishment is that he can't enter ireland for ten years....seriously!!!

for f*cks sake - i'm sorry but is that judge must be a moron

have to say, if i was a member of the cyclists family I'd be so distraught by that decision - I really feel sorry for them

The comment of Judge McCartan that the driver in this case was a "liability to the community" illustrates the self regarding attitude of the judicary class. Does he not get how hypocrital that comment is??!! How can the family of the victim be expected to bear this judgement?! it stinks to high hell..

5.6kWp - SW (220 degrees) - North Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Also, presumably, if the driver leaves the country as per the judges instruction that will make any appeal on sentencing impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I got the impression that he had already done a runner so even if he got a custodial sentence he was back in Lithuania anyway unless an extradition warrant was served at a later stage.

There has been some seriously questionable judgements passed by the judiciary in this country these days.

Source

The mother confronted him after the judge had left the courtroom... Reading more into it the cyclist was on the road after Light up time in an August Evening, probably around 10pm, it would still have been marginally bright! You could say something if it was in the middle of the night and the cyclist was all in black.

I really do despair at "Justice" in this country, and to add to the gauling nature of this the lad was studying to become a barrister.

R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

The judge most likely isn't a moron - just interpreting the law as it stands. We have a horrible, criminal-favouring, justice system in this country.
    I feel enormously for the family. My wife lost her brother in similar circumstances, although that driver did stop at least. Too many people just don't get how easily a life can be lost when you don't have respect for the fact that you're hurtling down roads in a ton of steel.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Granolite

_Puma_ wrote: »
    The mother confronted him after the judge had left the courtroom... Reading more into it the cyclist was on the road 30 mins after Light up time in an August Evening, probably around 8:30pm, it would still have been bright! You could say something if it was in the middle of the night and the cyclist was all in black.

I really do despair at "Justice" in this country, and to add to the gauling nature of this the lad was studying to become a barrister.

R.I.P
    To add to what Puma said the N2 Carrickmacross - Castleblaney Road is a wide largely straight road with a wide hard shoulder on both sides.

5.6kWp - SW (220 degrees) - North Sligo

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I've had to delete multiple posts, most of which were accusing the man of committing offences he wasn't convicted of.

Can we stick to the facts please. Otherwise we'll lock this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

My bad, I misread the following
    Gridzuiska's barrister told Judge McCartan at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court that his client "had not intended to remain in this jurisdiction" since his son had already returned to Lithuania. - See more at: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/hitandrun-driver-avoids-jail-term-over-death-of-cyclist-29102222.html#sthash.7uPg8mKX.uVBDKG1k.dpuf

with the father in the above piece being the father of the driver, and not the drivers son returning to Lithuania. Still, ridiculous sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Puts this in a very different light now, doesn't it? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056891689

How so? From my reading they are 2 completely different situations. One a hit and run, the other an episode of road rage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The cyclists mother was on the Last Word just after 5. Very powerful piece and worth a listen to as she spoke very well listing the litany of convictions and general scumbagery of the guy, made the sentence all the more sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

What are the chances that Judge McCartan will have that scumbag back before him to apologise to the victim's mother a la the Fiona Doyle case.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

disgusting :( sometimes i really do hate this country we live in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Granolite wrote: »
    To add to what Puma said the N2 Carrickmacross - Castleblaney Road is a wide largely straight road with a wide hard shoulder on both sides.

+1.. It's one of the best in Monaghan county!

Unless he was stinking drunk or aiming for the kid it would be hard to not see him!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Christ this is hard to read, RIP to the family involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

I heard this young mans' mother speaking on The Last Word this evening. It is a heart breaking story. I'm sure it's online if you want to listen.

I can't believe what the court decided, it is a disgrace.

I hope our laws are changed and very soon.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

wtf "Judge McCartan said Gridziuska was not driving dangerously when the accident happened"

Is that a fcuking Piss take? If you can't see a moving reflective object on the road you ARE driving dangerously...?

RIP, and I hope the family are not affected too badly by this decision

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭bedirect

the problem here is the lenient penalty for leaving the scene of an accident which is only 6 month, it should be 10 years when there is an injury or death. The problem with all trials in this country is that the prosecution must disclose everything to the defence, (but is it fair that the defence dont have to do that to the prosecution ?) Michael Mc Dowell ex Minister for justice called it " Trial by Ambush" he was dead right. This mans mother was on the Matt Cooper show, she spoke very well. The problem we have is that all judges are ex solicitors-barristers, so naturally most of them seem to be on the defendants side. They also have the court of criminal appeal looking at them also, but in relaity in this case why not let it go to the jury...let the jury decide...is that not the wish of the people ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

How so? From my reading they are 2 completely different situations. One a hit and run, the other an episode of road rage.

My initial opinion on that incident has changed after reading about the hit and run. Of course, I realise they're different situations, but the explicit threat (regardless of the later retraction/clarification) now seems different to me.

I previously dismissed it as a run-of-the mill "alpha-male" road incident - now I'm reminded that a car is a lethal weapon and the laws in this country seem to be firmly on the side of motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I hate to be the devils advocate but I cycle that area regularly and the way the locals drive coupled with the fact that, even at dusk, an unlit cyclist is very easy to miss because driver's night vision is seriously impaired by the lights of oncoming traffic, it would be madness to be out without lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

humbert wrote: »
    I hate to be the devils advocate but I cycle that area regularly and the way the locals drive coupled with the fact that, even at dusk, an unlit cyclist is very easy to miss because driver's night vision is seriously impaired by the lights of oncoming traffic, it would be madness to be out without lights.

That is the most stupid excuse I've ever read/heard for killing a person.

The thing is, if you drive a car it is your responsibility to ensure other road users safety. Failing to do so can and will result in injury and/or death of innocent people. It's sickening to read and hear the constant victim blaming that is going on in this country. It's the drivers fault, end of story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

This is so tough for the family. Unfortunately a similar thing happened over a week ago down in wexford - it wasn't a hit and run but bar that the similarities are striking. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056884810

Be safe cycling.

Advertisement