Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too many ads, too much talk across the band

Options
  • 01-03-2013 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭

Driving into work this morning and flicking through the fm stations on the radio around 815 out of all the music stations only one station was playing music. All the other stations were either on ads or the djs blabbering on. Ive always been of the opinion that music stations talk to much and play ads to much but this was taking the pi55 today.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,999 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I completely concur!

Spend a lot of my life in a car, and have definitely noticed this.

What particularly galls me is the station(s) who trumpet before and after every single song that they're on another 30 minutes of ad/chat free music (can't remember the actual phrase, too early for me) - but half the time is taken up with that very jingle. Grrrrrrr!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,265 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Couldn't agree more, radio seems to be heading the 'talk radio' route rather than 'music radio' across all the stations.

Maybe start bringing more CDs into the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Lads I hate to break it to you but there are probably fewer ads on radio than there were a couple of years ago, not that you'd notice it at 8.15 am purely because that would be the busiest time of the day, but across the day ads and ad revenue is a good bit down.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Mindfulness

I don't mind talk radio that is full of current affairs or interesting programmes about arts, history or science but the banal, inane chatter that seems to blabber from the mouths of 'DJs' really annoys me. If you are a music station then play music, have a competition or two and shut the hell up talking about how 'hilarious' it was last night when you were at home and dropped a potato on the floor and the dog ate it. :mad:

That said, I'd rather listen to a decent BBC Radio 4 podcast or some other downloaded podcast than the rubbish that these guys come out with so i don't really have to worry about it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

heybaby wrote: »
    ...but across the day ads and ad revenue is a good bit down.

Really? What's your source for this?

Ad revenues turned a corner and improved substantially in recent times in my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

Bard wrote: »

Ad revenues turned a corner and improved substantially in recent times in my experience.

98FM have 2 ad free hours and FM104 have one during the middle of the day. Dermot and Dave on 98FM only take two ad breaks an hour with about 4-5 ads per break. Most shows have sponsors now which is driving down the sales of advertisement space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

Well the chairman of the IBI has just been telling Pat Rabbitte that commercial revenues for independent broadcasters had fallen by more than 40 per cent since the recession started.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2013/0221/1224330312194.html

Perhaps if you work for a national or fm104, generally ad revenue and traffic is down.

soc160 wrote: »
    98FM have 2 ad free hours and FM104 have one during the middle of the day. Dermot and Dave on 98FM only take two ad breaks an hour with about 4-5 ads per break. Most shows have sponsors now which is driving down the sales of advertisement space.

Yes 98 fm as ive brought up here before are being crucified when it comes to ads, barry dunne was 5 hours ad free 5 days a week, I think thats down to three hours ad free, but Im not sure if they are just taking ads from earlier or later in the schedule and just filling in gaps to make it look better.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭StinkySocs

nevermind the stupid ads, i can deal with them, but it's the stupid quizes and text in if you ever...bla, bla, BLA!!!!

I generally drive to work between 7 & 8 and if i'm lucky i'd hear about 3 songs
    :mad:

put on the tuuuunnnnneeeesss!!!:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement