Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disability Allowance and Part time work

Options
  • 01-03-2013 1:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi There,

This is my first ever post :)

I have just gotten a part time job with Paddy Powers.

The min is 8 hours a week but it could be a much as 20.

I understand the rules, if the person can earn up to €120 a week and everything after that up to €350 is accessed at 50% and so on.

Where I'm confussed is what is considered "Rehabilative/Theraputic" work?

I have a rare heart condition that does effect me but getting out of the house for 8 or so hours a week would be very "Theraputic" to me and I'm sur my doctor would encourage this too.

What are the chances of them not allowing me to do this?

Thanks guys :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I have known someone who has been on DA for years and my understanding of 'rehabilitive' work' would be working in a non-pressurised environment, doing things at your own pace and feeling better at the end of the day because you enjoyed the day.

I would imagine working in a bookies shop, especially if it is counter work that it could be pretty much pressurised at times, but then it depends on the person.

No idea how DSP would view this, but given the push to get people off welfare and back to work they may well say 'fire ahead'

You MUST get approval from DSP first B4 you start the job, this is v.i.p.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Jonathanod

danjo-xx wrote: »
    I have known someone who has been on DA for years and my understanding of 'rehabilitive' work' would be working in a non-pressurised environment, doing things at your own pace and feeling better at the end of the day because you enjoyed the day.

I would imagine working in a bookies shop, especially if it is counter work that it could be pretty much pressurised at times, but then it depends on the person.

No idea how DSP would view this, but given the push to get people off welfare and back to work they may well say 'fire ahead'

You MUST get approval from DSP first B4 you start the job, this is v.i.p.

Thank you for your reply.

I wouldn't imagine a bookmakers being a highly pressured job, maybe busy alright.

I must let them know this week as I start a 2 day induction course in Dublin next weekend.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Haven worked in a bookies, they can be pretty pressurised, esp with cheltenham and the festivals all coming up.

Im on DA and am finding it hard to get the okay for rehabilative work. They seem to have really clamped down on what they consider to be suitable

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

Jonathanod wrote: »
    Where I'm confussed is what is considered "Rehabilative/Theraputic" work?

I have a rare heart condition that does effect me but getting out of the house for 8 or so hours a week would be very "Theraputic" to me and I'm sur my doctor would encourage this too.
    It's a term to get you back to work. So if you're out with a backache, you cant go work on a building site lifting heavy items. Working in an office would be more suitable and you would see if you were able for it with a bad back.
    Or as previous said, if you were suffering stress/depression, going to work in a highly pressurised job would be rehabilitative but gardening might be (extreme examples)

If your doctor is supporting your decision and your job, you would have a fair chance of getting it

Advertisement