Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cohabiting Couple

Options
  • 28-02-2013 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

Myself and OH are considering moving in together. I'm on JA (will be BTEA from September) and his stamps have just run out and is in the middle of going onto JA as well. Just wondering if anyone could tell me what the procedure is for him to apply for me as an adult dependant when he gets sorted, will there be any gap in payments for both of us (AKA will it take a few weeks to sort) and what happens to the claim when September comes around and I go back to college?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Sue Ellen

You should be able to remain on your claim until his is decided. You could apply to claim him as a dependant on your claim in the meant time or permanently and he could apply for creedits.
    If you go on his claim when you apply for BTEA you will have to come off his claim and go on your own claim for the BTEA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Sue Ellen wrote: »
    You should be able to remain on your claim until his is decided. You could apply to claim him as a dependant on your claim in the meant time or permanently and he could apply for creedits.
    If you go on his claim when you apply for BTEA you will have to come off his claim and go on your own claim for the BTEA.

And if he goes as my dependant I assume I'll still be claiming for him as a dependant on my BTEA? We're not bothered as to who claims for who, but hes more likely to get full time work than me in the next year so we want to take the most practical approach to it financially, considering that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yes, it would be better for him to be on your claim, then if he gets a job just go to the dole office and ask to be re-means tested. They will means test his wages against the dependant rate and reduce it, but you will still get €188 as BTEA is paid at that rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Yes, it would be better for him to be on your claim, then if he gets a job just go to the dole office and ask to be re-means tested. They will means test his wages against the dependant rate and reduce it, but you will still get €188 as BTEA is paid at that rate.

BTEA for new applicants will have means assesed against them. This was announced in the Budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Sue Ellen

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    And if he goes as my dependant I assume I'll still be claiming for him as a dependant on my BTEA? We're not bothered as to who claims for who, but hes more likely to get full time work than me in the next year so we want to take the most practical approach to it financially, considering that.

With this being the situation I would suggest you claiming for him as it will be easier than you having to sign back on if he gets work.
    If he gets work they will then assess the means from his income against the claim and the new payment amount will stand when you are on BTEA as means are now taken into account for all new BTEA claims.
    Make sure he signs for credits to keep his stamps up to date as he will not get a stamp while a dependant on your claim.

• Advertisement

He'll love that :rolleyes:
    Thanks guys, makes things a lot clearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Kerry3333

eastbono wrote: »
    BTEA for new applicants will have means assesed against them. This was announced in the Budget.

Where did you get this information?

It states on http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/back_to_education/back_to_education_allowance.html

that if my OH is claiming for me, and he is entitled to BTEA that I will be able to claim it separately, and while I am in college we will both get €188 (rather than just €312 between us). But it does say he "must also be getting an Increase for a Qualified Adult in his/her social welfare payment for you for the required period". Does this mean that he needs to be claiming for me for 9 months before I can get BTEA that way, or that he just needs to be claiming his SW payment for 9 months and that I need to be a qualified adult at some point on his claim? Obviously we would be financially better off this way, than me claiming BTEA for a qualified adult?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Kerry3333

eastbono wrote: »

I still cant see anywhere that says BTEA is going to be means tested? Is this what you mean by 'means assessed against them' because from what I read if you were on €188 previous to BTEA you stay on that payment and for people who are on an age-related social welfare payment they get a standard payment of €160. (before their payment would have been increased to €188) This is all i can see that was announced in the budget about BTEA except that the €300 Cost of Education Allowance has been discontinued for new and existing claimants. If there is anything I am missing I would like to know as I hope to be getting BTEA soon and would like to know for sure if BTEA is now means tested. Thanks.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/back_to_education/back_to_education_allowance.html

• Advertisement

Kerry3333 wrote: »
    I still cant see anywhere that says BTEA is going to be means tested? Is this what you mean by 'means assessed against them' because from what I read if you were on €188 previous to BTEA you stay on that payment and for people who are on an age-related social welfare payment they get a standard payment of €160. (before their payment would have been increased to €188) This is all i can see that was announced in the budget about BTEA except that the €300 Cost of Education Allowance has been discontinued for new and existing claimants. If there is anything I am missing I would like to know as I hope to be getting BTEA soon and would like to know for sure if BTEA is now means tested. Thanks.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/back_to_education/back_to_education_allowance.html

If you were on <€188 i.e. you had means against you from spouses earnings or capital or whatever then this is the figure you will receive if you are a new applicant to BTEA. Prior to Jan 2013 the means would have been disregarded and you would have received €188. If you are currently on a means tested payment and receiving €188 then this is what you will receive unless your circumstances change.

Advertisement