Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sewage pipe.

Options
  • 28-02-2013 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

Any ideas on this one please:

There is a small sewage pipe from one neighbouring house going through my garden . It has been there for thirty plus years. A verbal agreement was made back then by the two householders to let the pipe go through the garden. The two people in question have passed on...one many years ago and the other recently leaving the pipe now unused.
    What is my position now . Can I close it off. It did leak from time to time.
    The other house will probably be sold so I would like to know before a new owner arrives.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

me4many wrote: »
    Any ideas on this one please:

There is a small sewage pipe from one neighbouring house going through my garden . It has been there for thirty plus years. A verbal agreement was made back then by the two householders to let the pipe go through the garden. The two people in question have passed on...one many years ago and the other recently leaving the pipe now unused.
    What is my position now . Can I close it off. It did leak from time to time.
    The other house will probably be sold so I would like to know before a new owner arrives.

Thanks.

Probably an easement. Does the house need it to allow foul water out of the place?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭me4many

A pipe from a sink was attached years after the pipe was laid. This later pipe can easily be re located.

me4many wrote: »
    A pipe from a sink was attached years after the pipe was laid. This later pipe can easily be re located.

Someone else here will no doubt know more but these sort of things have a habit of getting complicated - I wouldn't go blocking it personally.

I certainly will not block it but I would like to know the position now while it is not being used any before it is used again.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭jd80

What type of discharge does this pipe carry (just water from the sink, rainwater, actual sewage)

Does the pipe also terminate in your garden and, if so, to where does it go (soakaway, septic tank etc. nowhere) ?

• Advertisement

The pipe carries sewage and sink waste and enters the mains beyond the garden.

Just to be clear - for the part that runs through your garden is this pipe actually underground?

Are there any access manholes to same on your property

The pipe is underground and has an access manhole which is in the garden.

Just wondering if any more views on this please.

Well it can't have be an easement by prescription because of the agreement which was my initial thinking. OP this is a complex area of law I'd really think about contacting a solicitor.

• Advertisement

Other than cost and work inolved, is there any other impediment to connecting this pipe to the sewage mains without it crossing your property.

This would appear to be the only realistic way to take the pipe to the mains.

Advertisement