Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chief examiner reports 2012

Options
  • 28-02-2013 8:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭

Any one have an idea when are they out? been waiting for them since December!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Isn't it usually April they are published?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

thanks! was waiting like a fool

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It will be after Easter I'd say.
    They will only be available in the subjects on the SEC site:
    JUNIOR CERTIFICATE
    Business Studies
    Home Economics
    Music
    Classical Studies

LEAVING CERTIFICATE
    Applied Maths
    Geography
    Music
    Gaeilge
    Agricultural Economics

There will be Chief Examiner reports available in all subjects within the SEC, but they only publish a selection each year on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

spurious wrote: »
    It will be after Easter I'd say.
    They will only be available in the subjects on the SEC site:
    JUNIOR CERTIFICATE
    Business Studies
    Home Economics
    Music
    Classical Studies

LEAVING CERTIFICATE
    Applied Maths
    Geography
    Music
    Gaeilge
    Agricultural Economics

There will be Chief Examiner reports available in all subjects within the SEC, but they only publish a selection each year on the site.

What's the reasoning for only posting a select few?

Yeah i just cannot wait to read the applied maths one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭N64

Say for example if the examiner reports that students don't know a certain area/part of a syllabus well in the report, would that area be more than likely to come up in this years exam, or are the reports only made a couple of months before they are published?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

LEAVING CERTIFICATE
    Applied Maths
    Geography
    Music
    Gaeilge
    Agricultural Economics

I do four of those so I guess it's my lucky year. :P

They are helpful in that they point out where students were weak that year and where they'd like to see improvements, right? So they'd be useful enough, especially for something like Applied Maths, I'd imagine?

I do four of those so I guess it's my lucky year. :P

They are helpful in that they point out where students were weak that year and where they'd like to see improvements, right? So they'd be useful enough, especially for something like Applied Maths, I'd imagine?
    yeah any one whos seen last year paper could see that it was different from the rest q10/7/2 interested to see how people got on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

N64 wrote: »
    Say for example if the examiner reports that students don't know a certain area/part of a syllabus well in the report, would that area be more than likely to come up in this years exam, or are the reports only made a couple of months before they are published?

No as far as I understand they're made fairly soon after the correcting is finished!

The 2013 exams would have been set last summer, with tidying up and translation going on now.

The Chief Examiner's reports are meant more to inform teachers as to which areas are weak, rather than an indication of what areas might be asked in future years.

Of course, it's always easier for a good candidate to pick up marks on a question that is rarely or poorly answered in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Interesting , I will read the applied maths one .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

The 2013 exams would have been set last summer, with tidying up and translation going on now.

The Chief Examiner's reports are meant more to inform teachers as to which areas are weak, rather than an indication of what areas might be asked in future years.

Of course, it's always easier for a good candidate to pick up marks on a question that is rarely or poorly answered in general.

I’ve always meant to ask; is to a candidate’s advantage to answer less popular questions? In other words if you see a question on the day that’s particularly hard or you know from previous years that people tend to steer clear of a certain question on a paper (genetics in biology as an example) would it be advisable to answer that question yourself?

There’s one of my teachers who’s always reminded us that the standard at LC is not always set by the marking scheme but rather the better candidates doing the exam that year. So, if one person is giving let’s say three points for an answer but there are people giving 4 or even five only the people giving those 4/5 points can get the A1? Sorry that’s very badly explained! But she is always telling us how marking schemes are readjusted to reflect the standard of answering for that particular year. So, if you’re doing a less-answered question would there be less competition with regards to that question? It might also provide a bit of relief for the examiner who’s after answering six scripts of Q1, Q4, Q6, Q7 to get a script of Q2, Q3, Q5, Q6 would it not? And on top of all that surely a question which only let’s say 10% of candidates are answering is more likely to get weighted in your favour if they end up remarking the paper?

Is there any logic to this at all or is it just the ramblings of a madman? :o

Thanks in advance!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Been waiting for this for a while, but I'm only in 5th year so it's all good. I only do Applied Maths out of the list though

I’ve always meant to ask; is to a candidate’s advantage to answer less popular questions? In other words if you see a question on the day that’s particularly hard or you know from previous years that people tend to steer clear of a certain question on a paper (genetics in biology as an example) would it be advisable to answer that question yourself?

There’s one of my teachers who’s always reminded us that the standard at LC is not always set by the marking scheme but rather the better candidates doing the exam that year. So, if one person is giving let’s say three points for an answer but there are people giving 4 or even five only the people giving those 4/5 points can get the A1? Sorry that’s very badly explained! But she is always telling us how marking schemes are readjusted to reflect the standard of answering for that particular year. So, if you’re doing a less-answered question would there be less competition with regards to that question? It might also provide a bit of relief for the examiner who’s after answering six scripts of Q1, Q4, Q6, Q7 to get a script of Q2, Q3, Q5, Q6 would it not? And on top of all that surely a question which only let’s say 10% of candidates are answering is more likely to get weighted in your favour if they end up remarking the paper?

Is there any logic to this at all or is it just the ramblings of a madman? :o

Thanks in advance!

I understand what you're saying and in my experience, it's always worth preparing rarely answered sections, for example Northern Ireland or Social History at JC History. Most of the answers are terrible, so a half decent answer gets the marks much more easily than, say, a Leonardo question where people are writing pages.

No point flinging in another rubbish answer, but if yours is good, it will stand out.

These are up now, at least in Applied Maths, Geography, Music and Agricultural Economics.
    Not sure what the delay is on Irish.

SEC site

**edit Irish has been added now.

FINALY!!!! Thanks for updating this as literally gave up waiting for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Bumping this!

Chief Examiners' Reports coming out this week.

The poster/mod Spurious posted above that a CER is written for each subject every year, but that only a handful are published. Can anyone explain why that is the case?

Just read the responses to the English CER from three broadsheets, and each of them highlights a completely different point! The Indo says that students are not assertive enough when answering; the Examiner notes over-reliance on predicing and having pre-preapred answers; while the IT, perhaps predictably, stresses poor spelling, punctuation and grammar.

Just read the responses to the English CER from three broadsheets, and each of them highlights a completely different point! The Indo says that students are not assertive enough when answering; the Examiner notes over-reliance on predicing and having pre-preapred answers; while the IT, perhaps predictably, stresses poor spelling, punctuation and grammar.

The Indo will have to find something to blame teachers for, the Examiner will try and find a way to say it's all Dublin-centric and the Irish Times of course will yearn for the good old days. :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

The Indo is a broadsheet now? :P

I guess there's truth in all of those points.

• Advertisement

Advertisement