Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Forwarding Irish number to International mobile?

• 28-02-2013 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I need to forward my Vodafone mobile number to an international mobile number I'll be using for a few weeks. Vodafone in their wisdom don't allow you to divert your number to an international number even if you're willing to pay the outbound call charges, all you can do is divert to a local number.

What I'm looking for help on is a relatively low cost way which will enable me to divert my mobile to a temporary Irish VOIP number with low call rates (particularly to SE Asia mobile numbers!) which will automatically forward incoming calls (primarily from my diverted mobile number) to the number I'll be using in SE Asia.

Possible?

FYI I have my own landline I could divert but the call rates to SE Asia are prohibitive.

Appreciate any help I can get.

Ben

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Something like this?

http://www.goldfish.ie/7357/all/1/Forwarding-your-number.aspx?gclid=CJfMpILj2bUCFQFP4QodhBkASg

I don't know about cost though ..... you would have the cost of the mobile diverting to the VOIP and then the cost of the VOIP call to the mobile in SE Asia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Could be a winner Johnnyboy!! I can't see what the call charges would be to a SE Asian mobile # but I'll drop them and email and see what the craic is. It'll certainly be less than paying VF's punitive roaming charges and that's for sure!!

Ben

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Try blueface, they issue an 076 number with a pay as you go account (no monthly fee).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I have finally found the relevant Blueface page about forwarding ....

http://www.blueface.ie/helpandadvice/toolbox-guide.php#normal

Thanks Johnny

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭AndyJB

BenThere wrote: »
    Hi all,

I need to forward my Vodafone mobile number to an international mobile number I'll be using for a few weeks. Vodafone in their wisdom don't allow you to divert your number to an international number even if you're willing to pay the outbound call charges, all you can do is divert to a local number.

What I'm looking for help on is a relatively low cost way which will enable me to divert my mobile to a temporary Irish VOIP number with low call rates (particularly to SE Asia mobile numbers!) which will automatically forward incoming calls (primarily from my diverted mobile number) to the number I'll be using in SE Asia.

Possible?

FYI I have my own landline I could divert but the call rates to SE Asia are prohibitive.

Appreciate any help I can get.

Ben

Afternoon,
    I’m a long time GoldFish.ie customer, this is how I manage when I’m abroad. I’m assuming you have a smart phone, Android or Apple.

I’ve installed CsipSimple on my Android and AcroBits Softphone on my iPhone.

I put a 15 second ring delay on my GoldFish desk based number ie rings for 15secs then diverts to v-mail. When I can, I keep CsipSimple running on my phone enabling for pickup of GoldFish calls. If I can’t pickup or App is not running calls just go direct to v-mail. The v-message is e-mailed to me almost immediately.

In your case divert your Voda number to a GoldFish number and after a 15 second delay you could divert to the Asian mobile. Depending where you’re based you could be 10hrs+ ahead, so, to avoid calls at 2am local time you could also set up time of day routing.

Pros:
    Diverts work perfectly and will be much cheaper than diverts from a normal landline or mobile number.
    The Apps I find A1. I use both all the time and quality is as good as any mobile call.
    Using VoIP for callbacks will be very cheap.
    Picking up a VoIP call via an App mentioned above is free to you.
    V-Messages and details of missed calls are e-mailed.

Cons:
    Using Apps while roaming on a mobile network will cost a lot, best to use them over WiFi. (Option would be to run App on local Asian mobile with a data tariff)
    Most hotel WiFi is poor for VoIP or it’s blocked completely. If hotels do offer paid WiFi in rooms VoIP can still have an issue.
    Diverted calls to Asian or any number will incur a cost for you, so you’ll need to keep a credit balance on the VoIP account.

On the idea by Mr Grumpy on an 076 VoIP number, if you've got an inclusive call package on your Voda mobile or landline the 076 calls will probably be excluded.

Hope this is of some use.
    Regards
    AJB

If your on billpay 076 numbers may be outside of your package, so check that also.

Tesco mobile do cheap international rates aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Totnan

Does anyone know if three.ie offer this service? I see that it is available in their Hong Kong market (http://www.three.com.hk/website/appmanager/three/home?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=P200470391219567710594&lang=eng&pageid=532201) but can't find evidence of this in Ireland. Thanks.

Price guide here:

http://www.three.ie/pdf/current-priceguide.pdf

Can't find any reference to international call forwarding. Btw, I understand vodafone don't do call forwarding to international numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

I was in China for a few months last year. This is what I done.

Three Mobile forward Skype Irish Landline Number
    Forward calls from Skype to Chinese Mobile.

Beat the hell out of €2.78 roaming charge.

You can buy monthly pack from Skype, they provide Irish Landline Number as part of subscription.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Lawrence87

Hi all,

Anyone figured out how to forward calls from an Irish mobile number to a UK mobile number?

Thanks,
    LN

Lawrence87 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Anyone figured out how to forward calls from an Irish mobile number to a UK mobile number?

Thanks,
    LN

All I can think of is first of all forward your mobile to an Irish VOIP number (check out goldfish for options and pricing) then forward the VOIP number to the UK mobile number.

Advertisement