Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kings Inns Entrance Examinations

Options
  • 28-02-2013 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi all, I hope to take the Kings Inns entrance exams in August 2013 and just wondered if anyone had the prep manuals for sale from the 2012 prep courses in Independent / Griffith College? or do people think it necessary to sit the actual prep courses themselves?. Hoping to avoid the additional cost if at all possible!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

wobblers wrote: »
    Hi all, I hope to take the Kings Inns entrance exams in August 2013 and just wondered if anyone had the prep manuals for sale from the 2012 prep courses in Independent / Griffith College? or do people think it necessary to sit the actual prep courses themselves?. Hoping to avoid the additional cost if at all possible!

Thanks in advance!
    Do a search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭dienbienphu

thats a good question. my friend has them, I asked him could i copy them but he said he didn't have the copy right. i told him it would be ok to make an electronic pdf from the papers but he said that is also illegal.

so looks like im going to have to fork out cash like everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 wobblers

Could you take a peak when he isn't looking? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭dienbienphu

Could you take a peak when he isn't looking? :)

ya i'll take a peak when i gain access to his house and take possession of them.

ya i'll take a peak when i gain access to his house and take possession of them.

Good plan! Have you (or anyone) given thought as to whether you would do the modular course or just do the 9 month stint? Have been advised the best experience is had on the full time course but wondered others thoughts on it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Thanks in advance!

Have you a law degree? If so, when did you finish it?

Hi NoQuarter, I finished my law degree last year.

Well then the answer is simple, you dont need a prep course to tell you again what you have already been told in your degree.

Buy last years KI manuals second hand, they will cost 400-500. Learn them cover to cover, dont worry about anything else such as books and articles etc etc unless you need to consult a book to clarify something you dont understand from the manuals. Do the above and you will pass the exams easily. Start studying by April/May to have the best chance.

NoQuarter wrote: »
    Well then the answer is simple, you dont need a prep course to tell you again what you have already been told in your degree.

Buy last years KI manuals second hand, they will cost 400-500. Learn them cover to cover, dont worry about anything else such as books and articles etc etc unless you need to consult a book to clarify something you dont understand from the manuals. Do the above and you will pass the exams easily. Start studying by April/May to have the best chance.

Apppreciate that thanks!That was the original intention but good to have it confirmed. Now just need to lay my hands on some manuals... and do up a very colourful / pretty study plan to ease into it all..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Buy last years KI manuals second hand, they will cost 400-500.

Max - a bit of negotiating should get them a wee bit cheaper. Boards.ie

There's also all sorts of shenanigans that can be had for less.

• Advertisement

Max - a bit of negotiating should get them a wee bit cheaper. Boards.ie

There's also all sorts of shenanigans that can be had for less.

True, have seen one of two ads for circa 250-300 on adverts.ie.

Curious as to the shenanigans..

Curious as to the shenanigans..

Law students = dodgy as f... esp ones that are heading in the direction of the bar. Another way to put it is 'entrepreneurial'. Phone a few and offer a bit lower and see what is said. I suspect a few will offer to meet you out side a certain type of stationers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

NoQuarter, just a quick question/wonderment.

Seeing as you have done the BL course, and have sat some FE1's, could the FE1 prep course material be used for studying for the KI entrance exams?

I mean, all the past papers are on the website, I've looked at some of them before and it does seem like you could.

chops018 wrote: »

Seeing as you have done the BL course, and have sat some FE1's, could the FE1 prep course material be used for studying for the KI entrance exams?

I mean, all the past papers are on the website, I've looked at some of them before and it does seem like you could.

I know you've asked NoQuarter but while you wait...

FE1 Manuals are almost identical to the KI manuals - one thing to be careful of in the KI is the compulsory question.

No better time to learn about copyright than when youre breaching it.

I'd go with a resounding yes. After all, the law is the law.

With the usual caveat that you need to be familiar with the layout of the Inns exam and more importantly, make sure you examine the KI syllabus alongside the fe1 manual to ensure the manuals cover the full syllabus.

Law students = dodgy as f... esp ones that are heading in the direction of the bar. Another way to put it is 'entrepreneurial'. Phone a few and offer a bit lower and see what is said. I suspect a few will offer to meet you out side a certain type of stationers.

That gave me a good giggle!

A friend of mine advised that he got the FE-1 manuals for 25 each last year.

NoQuarter, are or did you complete the BL full time? Any thoughts on the modular course?

That gave me a good giggle!

A friend of mine advised that he got the FE-1 manuals for 25 each last year.

I got a full set of 2011 KI manuals (last year) for €150 so it is possible - just shop around - I've heard people paying mad money for them.

NoQuarter, are or did you complete the BL full time? Any thoughts on the modular course?

I did the full time course so I have no idea about the modular. Full time is a great year though and very fast so if you could, I would do it. Obviously if you have other pressing commitments and you cant thats fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Cheers Procras and NoQuarter.. Was just wondering.

Wobblers, here is KI manuals for sale if you're interested:

http://www.adverts.ie/school-college-books/kings-inns-manuals-2012/2544657

Cheers Procras and NoQuarter.. Was just wondering.

Wobblers, here is KI manuals for sale if you're interested:

http://www.adverts.ie/school-college-books/kings-inns-manuals-2012/2544657

Thanks very much Chops018, Organised some over the weekend so picking up tomorrow, delighted.com! 250 euro. Obviously more than I hoped to spend but just happy to get my hands on them to get cracking.

Thanks everyone for the tips / advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭lawfilly

Open evening is on Wednesday at 5.30pm! Great for seeing how the course is run and what Kings Inns is really like!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement