Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning Famicom/Megadrive etc... Carts

Options
  • 28-02-2013 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭

Right. I've read loads of guides and watched vids. The problem I have is ... what cleaning solution do I use ? I've seen Isopropyl alcohol mentioned. I don't know what that is.

Is there something I can buy locally that I can use ? Like in Homebase or one of those ? My cart collection is growing and I don;t want to go cleaning them and screw them all up.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

You can get Isopropyl in any local chemists usually no?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

EnterNow wrote: »
    You can get Isopropyl in any local chemists usually no?

Oh. Ok. Will try that. So is that stuff ok to use straight on the contacts with q-tips ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Try not to drink it...... or keep it in the fridge near Atavan.....

Funnily enough I've only one bottle of cider left in the fridge so I can't make any promises.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,437 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Simply using water and a cotton swab works too. Can get out loads of dirt. For a complete solution though do get some isopropyl. Id say there's still grease there the water won't get rid of.

Another solution is crumbly erasers.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    Another solution is crumbly erasers.

I've heard that and must try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,437 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If you really want to get at the edge connector (maybe it's a particularly dirty cart) then opening it up, taking the PCB out and going at it with a rubber (!) works well.

Can be a bit awkward though if you don't want to open the carts up.

o1s1n wrote: »
    If you really want to get at the edge connector (maybe it's a particularly dirty cart) then opening it up, taking the PCB out and going at it with a rubber (!) works well.

Can be a bit awkward though if you don't want to open the carts up.

Thanks yeah. I have the screwdriver for the nes carts so will do that. Famicom carts ... now how the hell do I open them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Retropolis

brianon wrote: »
    Thanks yeah. I have the screwdriver for the nes carts so will do that. Famicom carts ... now how the hell do I open them ?

To open Famicom carts they are usually hinges in the cartridge so you have to pry them open carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

• Advertisement
Advertisement