Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying in Italy.

• 28-02-2013 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I'm considering Studying Medicine in Italy next year because the fees are relatively cheap, the universities have a high standard and the entance exam(The Imat) is supposedly easier than the Irish Hpat. Oh and the courses are offered in english. I'm not a home bird and the idea of studying abroad appeals to me. The Universities I'm considering are in Milan(Universita di Milano), Rome(La Sapienza) and Bari(Universita di Bari). Has anyone lived/studied in any of these cities and if so what are your experiences of them? Also what do Italians think of us Irish?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Medme

Hi, I'm also looking at Italy at the moment. I've no more info other than what google told me so would be keen to hear anyone's experiences too. Have you sat the IMAT already or planning on April?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 RAnnaC

I'd be really interested in finding out more about this! I had looked into it before but when I considered all the clinical work that I'd be at a disadvantage on it put me off. How do students deal with their lack of italian on placements?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Medme

Re Italian -I'm guessing it would be same situation as all the Eastern European Unis, which generally seems to be that you have the first 4yrs to get learning the language! I'm not 100% sure but I'm assuming they expect a level sufficient to communicate on clinical placements etc. I have zero Italian but I'm hoping that if I was living there and learning it in Uni for this purpose it would be doable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

Truelegend wrote: »
    I'm considering Studying Medicine in Italy next year because the fees are relatively cheap, the universities have a high standard and the entance exam(The Imat) is supposedly easier than the Irish Hpat. Oh and the courses are offered in english. I'm not a home bird and the idea of studying abroad appeals to me. The Universities I'm considering are in Milan(Universita di Milano), Rome(La Sapienza) and Bari(Universita di Bari). Has anyone lived/studied in any of these cities and if so what are your experiences of them? Also what do Italians think of us Irish?

Me too! :D See you in London?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Truelegend

I haven't sat the Imat yet either so I will be sitting in this April. Does anyone now what it's like or where I can get more practise exam's like the one on the Imat website. From what I heard most of the people sitting the Imat are Italians who apply for the English speaking course aswell, as it might be easier to get into than the Italian one. The majority of them overestimate their standard of English and do poorly in the exam. Also they award 5 bonus points if you speak English fluently in your country. This gives us an advantage over the Italians.
    The disadvantage of applying to Italy, is that they expect you to have a fairly high standard of Italian by the time you do your placements which I think is usually around fourth year.
    Also Rome and Milan are much better universities than than the southern Italian ones but are far more competitive to get into. Saying that Ireland is considered as being one of the most competitive countries to get into medicine in Europe so pretty much everywhere you apply will be easier to get into.
    That's all I know about the Italian system, I hope it helps.

• Advertisement

outnumbered - Have you done much study for the IMAT? And if you have,how did you study for it?

I haven't sat the Imat yet either so I will be sitting in this April. Does anyone now what it's like or where I can get more practise exam's like the one on the Imat website. From what I heard most of the people sitting the Imat are Italians who apply for the English speaking course aswell, as it might be easier to get into than the Italian one. The majority of them overestimate their standard of English and do poorly in the exam. Also they award 5 bonus points if you speak English fluently in your country. This gives us an advantage over the Italians.
    The disadvantage of applying to Italy, is that they expect you to have a fairly high standard of Italian by the time you do your placements which I think is usually around fourth year.
    Also Rome and Milan are much better universities than than the southern Italian ones but are far more competitive to get into. Saying that Ireland is considered as being one of the most competitive countries to get into medicine in Europe so pretty much everywhere you apply will be easier to get into.
    That's all I know about the Italian system, I hope it helps.

Great! it good to hear bout other Irish applying there! i am applying to Pavia! its meant to be really good!
    yeah, there are past papers on www.medschool.it there is a load of info there! everything you need! even practice question book recomendations! :D
    hopefully we get in!

Thanks, I'm sure that will be helpful. I'm also considering Pavia. Best of luck with the IMAT, if you get in let me know, it would be nice to know someone else Irish over there.

Thanks, I'm sure that will be helpful. I'm also considering Pavia. Best of luck with the IMAT, if you get in let me know, it would be nice to know someone else Irish over there.

Thanks very much! yeah pavia has so many positive aspects which you will find out on that website! :D
    oh god definitely! it would be great!
    if you want to add me on facebook, then there is a group for medicine in italy!
    heres the link: https://www.facebook.com/jason.doran.7?ref=tn_tnmn

Thanks very much! yeah pavia has so many positive aspects which you will find out on that website! :D
    oh god definitely! it would be great!
    if you want to add me on facebook, then there is a group for medicine in italy!
    heres the link: https://www.facebook.com/jason.doran.7?ref=tn_tnmn

Ok thanks I will do :) . Did you do the hpat this year?

• Advertisement

Ok thanks I will do :) . Did you do the hpat this year?

i did indeed! :) did you ?

Yeah, i did it in cork, I was happy enough with my section 1 and 3, I got them both finished in time and I did't guess too many. My section 2 was very poor though so I think that will bring my percentile down. How did you find it?

Yeah, i did it in cork, I was happy enough with my section 1 and 3, I got them both finished in time and I did't guess too many. My section 2 was very poor though so I think that will bring my percentile down. How did you find it?

ah well done! i did it in sligo! :) yeah, i found them alright too surprisingly enough! strangely i had loads of time! :P
    so are you confident or not so much? i am not sure. i just want to have back ups, yano yourself? :P

Yeah I'm the exact same, on the fence at the moment, could go either way. Italy is my plan B if I don't get it here. I'm also considering Budapest in Hungary aswell. That is very easy to get into but is much more expensive (over 12k a year).

Yeah I'm the exact same, on the fence at the moment, could go either way. Italy is my plan B if I don't get it here. I'm also considering Budapest in Hungary aswell. That is very easy to get into but is much more expensive (over 12k a year).

Yeah same! ummm i considered there but way too expensive. i would have to give it another try here or italy before forking out that money! :P
    btw, did you just add me on facebook or was that someone else? :P

Nope i Haven't added you yet. My name's Conor O' Sullivan. Does your picture have baloons on it?

Nope i Haven't added you yet. My name's Conor O' Sullivan. Does your picture have baloons on it?

em nope. it is of me in a suit and sun glasses. if you click on the link, it should take you to my page :)

yeah I tried It's not working. Could you post another one?

yeah I tried It's not working. Could you post another one?

absolutely!

http://www.facebook.com/jason.doran.7

if that doesnt work, could you give me your link or email address :)
    you can pm me with it if you prefer?

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

I studied abroad in Italy for a year. Granted, it wasn't medicine (Graphic Design) but if I can be of help with any particular questions re: life, language, bureaucracy etc just shoot.

• Advertisement

Hi Kaki. whereabouts did you study? :)
    What are the Italians like in general to foreign students?

I studied for one glorious year in Turin (Politecnico di Torino).

I think that it depends on your class group, my course was in Italian and I was one of 2 foreigners in a class of 120, tbh I found it a bit hard to integrate and adjust. That said I've heard much more positive things from people who've studied in English-streamed courses - you're all in it together, even the Italians who have to study in English!

Pavia is a gorgeous city, it's also quite handy for Milan which is a cultural and logistic hub (think it's like 30 minutes by train). Don't underestimate the importance of transport links, direct flights are a godsend when you're flying over and back between Ireland at least 2-3 times a year.

Oh and their butter is mani (unsalted...) so when in Rome, do as the Romans: mayo and olive oil all the way.

kaki wrote: »
    I studied for one glorious year in Turin (Politecnico di Torino).

I think that it depends on your class group, my course was in Italian and I was one of 2 foreigners in a class of 120, tbh I found it a bit hard to integrate and adjust. That said I've heard much more positive things from people who've studied in English-streamed courses - you're all in it together, even the Italians who have to study in English!

Pavia is a gorgeous city, it's also quite handy for Milan which is a cultural and logistic hub (think it's like 30 minutes by train). Don't underestimate the importance of transport links, direct flights are a godsend when you're flying over and back between Ireland at least 2-3 times a year.

Oh and their butter is mani (unsalted...) so when in Rome, do as the Romans: mayo and olive oil all the way.

hahaha great to hear! :D
    well i have my exam this day next week so fingers crossed! :D

Best of luck! (or in bocca al lupo!)

kaki wrote: »
    Best of luck! (or in bocca al lupo!)

thanks.
    if i get in i shall bombard you with questions haha. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 momina

whenthe registration for imat is due

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭miissjuly

Mid February

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 corkleo

Hi everyone, I hope the 3d isn't too old. What about those imat tests lads?
    I'm not in medicine school but have some friends in there, and I'm Italian, so any questions about bureaucracy, language, accommodation or life feel free to ask ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Kadiv

Hi everyone I got assigned to Bari I think and I'm gonna enroll I suppose at around the end of this month and I was wondering about the city in general(if it's safe or not) as I heard my neighbour who went to Italy said that there was a lot of pickpocketing in any case I'm not really sure what to expect when I go there so any info would be really useful!

• Advertisement

Kadiv wrote: »
    Hi everyone I got assigned to Bari I think and I'm gonna enroll I suppose at around the end of this month and I was wondering about the city in general(if it's safe or not) as I heard my neighbour who went to Italy said that there was a lot of pickpocketing in any case I'm not really sure what to expect when I go there so any info would be really useful!

Well done!
    I got assigned to Bari last year but turned it down. You'll have to do your own research but the city is meant to be riddled with crime... Big decision to spend 6 years in somewhere like that.. research it tho! :D

Advertisement